Guinea Pig Died, Difficulty coping

WanderingFanboy

Post   » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:15 am

My piggie koro, just died. Im having a very hard time greiving. She fell from my shoulder, and broke both her legs. She just died in my hands, she was a baby, and we were so close.....im here to ask if guinea pigs feel anything before death? Did she hate me, or did she forgive me....i lovingly talked to her during her passing and even pet her, told her i love her.....my other piggy, ray, also sat there trying in her own way to comfort ray. this is my first animal, and im honestly heart broken...should i buy a new one for ray? Or sould i give her time..?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:11 am

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't answer your questions but know you loved her and are grieving.

This may help your other guinea pig:
www.guinealynx.info/alone.html

Please adopt instead of purchasing from a pet store. There are so many homeless guinea pigs. You can honor Koro by adopting one who needs a home.

And this may help you:
https://www.guinealynx.info/petloss.html

Guinea pigs are very fragile. Here are some tips for handling:
https://www.guinealynx.info/handling.html

You have our sympathy.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:02 pm

I'm so sorry you lost her, for any reason.

Rest in peace, little one. You are loved and missed.

WanderingFanboy

Post   » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:27 pm

Thanks granny and Lynx. She was my first pet so, i felt very saddened when she passed. I will adopt a piggy in honor of koro. Thank you for that suggestion ^-^

WICharlie

Post   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:28 pm

Most animals (including humans) will go into shock if severely injured and that is the body's way of protecting against pain. So it's unlikely that she suffered long. She certainly would not have had the ability to believe that you had caused her harm. I think part of your heartbreak is beating yourself up because of feeling guilty along with the grief of losing her.

I have dropped a guinea pig before and the pig sustained a broken leg. I was beside myself with guilt. Thankfully it was only a broken leg and she healed over time, with vet care and special care at home.

What I took out of the experience is that, thereafter, I was rather fanatical about preventing another fall with other pigs. I made sure to always have both my hands on the pig at all times and to never place the pig in a situation where it might take a long fall. Unfortunately, they are very streamline in shape, they can move very suddenly and fast, and they have very poor eye sight so they seem to have no fear of being up high. Even with the best precautions, a fall can occur but one can try anyway. If you want to snuggle with one on your shoulder like you were doing, make sure you are sitting on the couch so there is something to prevent a fall if piggy leaps off or slips.

Please do check in your area for a guinea pig rescue that could help you find a good match for your pig. Providing a home for a pig in need is a wonderful way of honoring your Koro.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:33 pm

I feel the same way after we lost Mu Mu.
She had a host of health issues when we got her and we had only had her 3.5 weeks before she died in my hands just as I was trying to syringe feed her, She hadn't eaten anything for over 24 hours. I was (and still am) heartbroken (And that's coming from a 50 something long haired metal head).
I keep feeling I could have done something more to save her, that I made mistakes and since then have scoured this site for info to make try and make sure I do my best for the other 3 girls we have but they have all been having ongoing health issues for months. Apparently a common problem with Store bought piggies. I wish I had been able to do more research before the wife turned up with them out of the blue. I get ridiculously attached to pets that is why I have avoided having them since I was a kid.
Not sure I can offer much advice other than research, learn, adopt dont buy, and do the best you can .

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:56 pm

I think most of us start out making mistakes - or with preconceptions. I'm glad you are learning more what works for you.

jatean

Post   » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:03 am

WanderingFanBoy, it sounds like you need time before you get another guinea pig. Watch over the grieving one to be sure she is still eating well, spend time with her too. Unless she's losing weight, I'd give yourself time to work through your feeling before getting another one, otherwise it might make it harder for you to bond with the new one.

I'm so sorry this happened and I completely understand how it could. We have a 4 month old and it he's a jumper and can't predict his movements at all. We don't even take him out of the cage to clean it unless someone can hold him on the floor.

Our 10 year old once had our calm, older boar jump from her hands as she was returning him to the cage - a fall of about 1 foot - and he was fine. We were lucky. It wasn't negligence; it was a predictable pig being unpredictable. From this we learned to just always assume the worst could happen and take all precautions. I'm so sorry that you weren't as lucky as we were.

Guinea pigs don't have the sophisticated thoughts we human do - they can't assign blame or forgive. The trauma was kind to the little one and separated her from the pain.

You will learn from this, you deserve to forgive yourself for this accident, and when you're ready - there are guinea pigs waiting for a good home.

JaneDoe

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:28 am

I'm sorry for your loss. I've had nine pigs over 15 years. It never gets easy.

Guineapun

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:25 am

I'm sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, sweet Koro.

Gessika

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:40 pm

I'm so sorry Koro is gone. I've lost four pigs this year (not a typo, yes, four) and it's been so hard. There are a lot of helpful resources online for grieving the loss of a pet. Googling "pet grief" brings up a lot of good links.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:12 pm

I have had some tragic losses over the many years. I say take whatever time you need and decide when/whether to get a new pig when things aren't so raw.