Strange stool after hand feeding

Spikeytwo

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:12 pm

My Guinea pig spotty just recently underwent tooth trimming. Since his vitamin C intake was not enough his teeth grew strangely and he felt pain when eating, losing a lot of weight. The vet has instructed me to feed him through a syringe. I have been feeding him stage 2 baby food: flavor sweet potato(per vets request as weight gain food). Just about 10 min ago, i found one of his recent stools and it looked quite strange. Please help me figure this out, i want him to get better. His weight has stayed the same even though i have been syringe feeding him vitamin c, food, and pain control.

Erinspigs

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:27 am

I can't open photo right now but I do know critical care is preferable to baby food.

Here is a link to hand feeding from this site:

https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html#top

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:33 am

You have started a topic already on this guinea pig in the medical forum. Use this one to post all your medical questions about him and do not start any additional topics on Spotty.

It is unusual to have vitamin C deficiencies if you are feeding a good guinea pig pellet and fresh vegetables. What is his normal diet?

It looks like what he passed was hardened mucus. Are you weighing daily?

Spikeytwo

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:16 am

Yes I am weighing daily. His weight has not changed. He normally eats a lot of hay and some fruits every once in a while. I have started weighing and his weight is about a little bit less since i took him to the vet a couple days ago. I just fed him a lot of syringe food yesterday night and i only see other weird small stools. They all seem very dry.What should I do?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:24 am

Syringe him some water or Pedialyte along with the syringed food. It's very dense compared to hay, so your pig likely needs more water.

Spikeytwo

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 am

Ok, I'm not sure if has malocclusion. It's been 9 days since he got his teeth cut and he still can't eat. He seems interested in food but just keeps picking at it and can't actually eat. I thought he was eating so I gradually gave less syringed food, but now he is at an all-time low of 570g. I don't know what to do. He seems to have many symptoms of maloccolusion from the Guinea lynx page. I'm not sure whether to take him back to the vet or wait. They said it would be hard to recover and I may have to keep coming back to get his teeth trimmed. I also just recieved chew sticks so should i use that? Im reluctant to go to the vet because I dont know what they can do and I don't want to spend 200 dollars for nothing to get better. What should I do?? Im worrying so much. I think he can't eat

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:51 pm

I am sorry he is doing poorly. It sounds like he need aggressive hand feeding to turn him around. Some tips on this page if the teeth were trimmed way too much:
www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

It sounds like the vet may have missed something. I take it you read www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html ?

Spikeytwo

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:05 pm

I want to take it to the vet, but it is very expensive and may just have the same results. The only choices for him are to slowly get better or to be in pain. What do I do? I have been only syringe feeding him 10 of food ml and 10 ml of water a day due to time constraints. I have been giving him pieces of apples as he likes these and can actually eat these. I don't have time to syringe feed him 120ml of food and 100 ml of water per day because of time. How do I get him to eat on his own again?? THis has been looming over me for 2 weeks, please give me any ideas. He doesnt want to use chew sticks to grind his teeth. I have offered him apple wood but he doesnt want it.

Spikeytwo

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:32 pm

I have also heard that some guinea pigs will need treatment every few weeks/months. I cannot afford that. What can I do?

Spikeytwo

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:33 pm

I have also heard that some guinea pigs will need treatment every few weeks/months. I cannot afford that. 200 dollars every couple weeks/ months is too much for me.What can I do besides taking him to the vet every couple weeks. His inscisors also almost have fully grown out. Sorry! accidental repeat send

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Was an xray ever done? If the roots are elongated, it may be difficult to do much of anything but maintain your guinea pig. You mentioned your guinea pig was getting pain medication. What kind? Are you still giving it?

Sorry if I missed something you posted above.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Are you still only feeding him baby food? You need to mix that with Critical Care and add just enough baby food to give it some flavor.