Jasmine's Medical Questions

piggylover49

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:23 pm

Once it gets bad and there is some hair loss and itchiness I think that she will treat it, and I will be able to help her. Other than that, I'm not really sure that there is a solution. Thank you anyways for your new ideas and enormous help!

piggylover49

Post   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:37 pm

Sorry- forgot to mention we treated her for for fungus because she had foot fungus over the winter! It is probably spreading to her skin.

piggylover49

Post   » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:38 pm

I just wanted to let you all know that Jasmine died this week. At the time, she was living with her owner. I just took care of Jasmine over the winter while her owner was unable to.

Jasmine was one of the nicest guinea pigs I have ever met. While some pigs might have been scared after moving to a new environment, Jasmine was outgoing and loved getting pet. She would curl up in your lap and start purring, and help me through a very difficult time in my life after multiple family members passed away. Without Jasmine, I don’t know how I could have gone through that.

I’m beyond angry (and sad) right now. I have always known Jasmine was sick; after her fungus, weight loss, distinct pear shape (cysts???), and eye discharge, it was clear that she needed medical attention. But no one would believe me because I’m “just a teen” and her owner said she was okay. I tried my best to get her medical attention and treat her myself, for what I could (like fungus), but even after all of my attempts I was not able to get her the vet which she needed- I would need someone to drive me 30 minutes away, and no one would. Her owner told me that Jasmine died of old age- I don’t think this is right because she was only two years old. I can only hope that she passed on peacefully, and that in the future people will trust me.

Jasmine, I’m sorry that you had such a chaotic life. From growing up in a pet store, then living at a petting zoo with irresponsible owner, I can only hope that I was able to provide you with a loving home. I love you very much and with you could be with me right now.

RIP Jasmine

piggylover49

Post   » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:45 pm

We also got the news that they got another guinea pig to keep Pigsy (Jasmine’s Cage mate) company. They got her from a pet store, probably did not check to make sure she is female, and definitely didn’t do a proper introduction or quarantine. It’s so frustrating! I wish them would do research and learn to take better care of their piggies.

I’m not sure if I’m going to go back to this petting zoo. It would definitely be hard for me- but no one clips the guinea pigs’ or bunnies’ nails, so I might just go once a month to clip their nails. It makes me sad because they do a lot of things at the farm that I don’t think are very responsible, and I really don’t want to support them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:57 pm

I am so sorry for you, piggylover49. It is clear you cared a great deal for this guinea pig, even though she was not yours. You have a good heart.

piggylover49

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:48 pm

Thank you so much, Lynx, for your kind words. I really appreciate the support and suggestions you have given me with Jasmine.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:53 pm

I'm so very sorry about the loss of Jasmine.

Rest in peace, little one. You are loved and missed.

piggylover49

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:04 pm

Thank you so much, GrannyJu1. I really appreciate your thoughts. I also wanted to share a picture of Jasmine, since no one really has seen a picture of her besides medical pictures. I hope I posted these correctly!

Thank you so much everyone. I don't know what I would do without GL. It has been really hard losing Jasmine, but GL has made it easier because their are other people who love their piggies as much as I do and understand how hard it is when they pass away. Thanks so much.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Very cute piggies!

piggylover49

Post   » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Thanks, bpatters!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Too sweet, and again, so sorry you lost her.

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Today I visited Pigsy, and the New Guinea pig, Helen. Helen is the cutest thing! She’s a little baby- they got her from a pet store (I know, not good, I would have adopted one but it wasn’t my decision).

I cut their nails, because that is my job- and I noticed Helen has an extra toe, a polydactyl! I also double-checked and Helen is female, and seems to be in good health (from what I can tell).

I also noticed Pigsy has a TINY amount of nose crusties- but she was acting totally normal.

I’m trying to get them both to the vet, I know they both should be going and I’m trying my best.

The pet store told the pigs owner that baby guinea pigs can’t eat veggies until they are six months old and to feed both Pigsy (a two year old) and Helen (about 3 months old) BOTH alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay. What do they think they are doing?!?!?!

I told her owner to feed them both adult pellets and Timothy hay, and to separate them at veggie time. Pigsy will be getting regular adult piggy veggies, Helen will be getting mostly dill and parsley, with some other veggies too, Helen’s veggies all totaling to about 2/3 cup. That sounds good, right?

Thanks again everyone for you help. I also attached picture of Pigsy and Helen. Pigsy is the tan Abyssinian, Helen is the gray long haired one (don’t know her breed!).