Jasmine's Medical Questions

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Oh, they are both so cute! Yes you are right on the food. Fresh vegs will be good for them and make their lives more interesting.

piggylover49

Post   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Thanks Lynx! Also what do you think I should do about her extra toes? I don’t know that it has bones it it, it is a little dangly but attached pretty firmly to the foot. I don’t think I willl be able to get them to the vet; believe me, I tried to convince their owners, even saying I would bring them, but they don’t want to. They are their piggies and I tried to convince them, at the end of the day they are their piggies and they make all of the decisions. I know I shouldn’t try and remove it on my own, but should I try to clip the nail (not the whole toe, just the nail)? I’m scared I’m going to pull it off by accident.

Also, is there anything you think I could do for them? I’m nervous because Pigsy had a little bit of boogers today and Jasmine died of unknown causes. I really care about them and I wish I could bring them to the vet!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:54 pm

You can read about polydactyly in the guide.
https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#poly

The main thing is I am guessing, how dangly it is and whether it might be ripped off accidentally.

rjespicer

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:54 pm

RIP Jasmine

I can sympathize with you having a hard time convincing others that piggies are ill. I have had that situation a few times even with the vet. When you are spending a lot of time around them you get to know how they behave and pick up on any change in behavior or habits. When someone is only seeing them for a brief snapshot they dont appreciate that something changed as they dont know them like you do.

Best of luck with Pigsy (Monkey Magic?) and Helen.

piggylover49

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:36 pm

Thanks you both so much!

Yes, even though they arent mine I handle them the most and deal with nail Clipping, etc. and fostered them until late spring this year. Their current owner doesn’t spend much time with them because she has 3 dogs, 5 cats, and a whole farm, so she only feeds them and cleans the cage, very limited amount of handling. I also know the basic signs of a sick Guinea pig pig- when she lost about 200 grams no one would believe me that’s it’s not normal for a guinea pig to loose of of this weight without a cause. I wish she would do research instead of making assumptions! I was at sleep away camp for a while and the scale broke so I was not able to weigh her in her last month or two of life.

I’m now really nervous about Pigsy (no not from Monkey Magic, sorry rjspicer!) and Helen. Before Jasmine died, her symptoms were eye discharge and weight loss, and one bout of diarrhea, and now Pigsy has some nose discharge (even though it’s a small amount, they’re not supposed to have any, right?). I’m guessing Jasmine has a virus, especially because a few weeks before they had summer camp in that room and there were tons of little kids sticking hands inside the cage and petting them. Also Helen was got from a pet store :( so I hope she’s not sick and hoping that her polydactyly will be okay. At this point I’m kind of looking for an excuse to bring them to the vet, they have never been before and I would very relived if they could get checked over- I don’t want any more sick piggies!

Sorry for the rant- I’m so frustrated.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:03 pm

I’m so sorry for the loss of Jasmine and admire you so much for trying to do the right thing for these piggies. If they are from a pet store there is usually some health guarantee like 30 days or 3 months or something. That would be a good reason for the owners to get a vet checkup right away. Also, I hate to say it but this farm doesn’t sound too responsible about their animals. It seems to me they are taking on too many animals and don’t have the time to provide good basic care, and don’t want to spend money on medical care. I understand your hands are tied here, but is there an adult in 4-H that would be sympathetic to these animals needs that you could talk to? Just my opinion.

SSLee

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:31 pm

piggylover49, I happened on to this thread by accident and read it beginning to end. Even with adults involved, you, the teen is clearly the most mature and responsible person. I felt so sad and teared up upon reading that Jasmine died at such a young age. The fact the owner told you that Jasmine at age two died of old age is clear that she knows nothing about guinea pigs.

I loved taking my niece and nephew to the petting zoos when they were younger and frankly I didn't think about how it might have been for the animals there. The petting zoos we went to were part of larger city zoos, so it would have had more maintenance and hopefully knowledgeable workers.

Thank you for all you did for Jasmine and now do for Pigsy and Helen. You are a really caring and compassionate person. I hope you will be able to care for Pigsy and Helen this winter.

piggylover49

Post   » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks you so so so much, ItsaZoo and SSLee. I really appreciate your kind words, you have both made me feel a lot better for what I have done for the piggies.

Helen is from a pet store, but it is a privately owned family one, not a big company. I still consider them a pet store because they don’t take very good care of their animals and don’t get rescues. I’m pretty sure they don’t have a health guarantee, I couldn’t find one on their website. Thanks anyway for the suggestion! I really appreciate it!

Yes, I agree about the farm not being very responsible. One time they “accidentally” bred a brother and sister goat- they put them in the same pen and didn’t think they would have kids together, then after they kept them in the same pen (ew!). I used to think that they took good care of their guinea pigs until a few months ago.

Also, I have tried talking to other people at the farm. They all say that the owner is the animal expert and that I should trust her. I don’t know that anyone off the farm could actually help me.

The only reason I still go is because I think that I can make the animals lives a little better, especially when I clip all of the bunnies and guinea pigs nails.

Also, I’m not going to be able to take care of them over the winter. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to, and know I would be able to, but we recently got a dog, and my parents say they’re worried about him trying to eat the piggies. I have suggested everything to show them that he would not be able to get to them: keep them in my room with automatic door closer, a sturdy cage, indoor electric fence, etc, etc.

They say that even though it is a very very small chance, they say that they think it would be super traumatizing if he did get to them. I did explain that they would be in much better living condition here, but they won’t let me. I’m super sad, but am still trying to convince them. I hopefully will!

Thank you all so much for your advice and kindness. I really thankful for all of you.