Is this boar glue? What to do?

dchen298

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:51 am

Today when I was hand feeding my pigs veggies, I noticed the chin area of one of my pigs was very sharp. Upon closer inspection, it seems like a lot of his hairs on his chin were stuck together, which is why it was so pointy. Is this boar glue that's making it stuck? What should I do, if anything at all? It seems there's a decent amount of fur missing from his chin :/

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:26 am

Those bottom teeth look pretty slanted. I wonder if he has molar issues and has been drooling as he eats, then the drool has hardened. I would have him checked out by a cavy-savvy vet.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:33 am

He almost certainly has molar issues, and needs to see an exotic vet with rodent dentistry experience.

The sharp spiky stuff could well be boar glue. Just leave it alone. Piggy spit seems to be the best stuff for getting rid of it, and he'll take care of it himself.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:18 am

Your pictures are pretty clear. Let me know if you'd like them added to this topic for future readers. And ditto the checking out the teeth. Is a top one broken? If he is a bar chewer, you might want to have a bigger cage with plexiglass sides so he can't break them (guessing one cause would be a broken incisor and slanted wear - other cause as bpatters points out is malocclusion).
www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html

I can move this topic to the medical forum if you want to discuss the teeth.

dchen298

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Hey guys, thanks for pointing out the tooth issue that I so carelessly missed. I actually just brought boaris to the exotic vet 2 weeks ago and everything checked out good. However, after that visit, I seperated him and his cage mate with a divider in their cage, as they kept fighting with blood drawn. Since then, my piggies have been chewing on the divider to get the other pig's attention. Is that why his teeth are like this? I'll try and schedule another visit to his vet asap.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Bar chewing won't do that. A problem with the jaw or molars will.

dchen298

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Ok, I'll get him to the vet asap. Is that gap in between his teeth and bottom lip a concern? His bottom lip seems to be like sagging down.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:45 pm

I don't think the lip is a problem. If the stuff on his chin IS boar glue, it may be holding the lip down. I'd be way more concerned about the slanted incisors.

dchen298

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:11 am

Thanks for the reply, just wanna have some info when I get to the vet. Last question: does this sort of thing happen out of nowhere, or does it take a while? Because I literally brought my piggy in to his vet 2 weeks ago for his annual checkup and they said everything was fine. If it takes a while to get like this then the vet didn't thoroughly check my last visit and I'm going to argue that I shouldn't be charged for the general check up part of this visit.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:26 am

It can happen fairly quickly. Look at www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html and note how quick the recovery time is also. So there could have been a partial break caused by bar chewing and then slantiness as it grows out.