Preventative Spay?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Is there any possibility of pyometra? (an infection of the uterus) If so, a complete spay would likely help.

Sounds like this is something you will have to decide on, evaluating her overall health, the skill of the vet, etc.

Do you have time to help her with recovery from surgery?
www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

zygote

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for the additional perspectives. Luckily, she doesn't have any other problems like arthritis. If she did, I imagine our choice would be different.

The vet didn't mention pyometra, but I suppose it's possible? I'll ask after the ultrasound results come back.

Basically, we only want to do the spay if it will solve her issues and give her better quality of life. If it's something like cancer that has spread already, it's not worth putting her through it. I do trust the skill of the vet, so it will depend on her overall health and the information we get from the ultrasound.

If we do spay, we will make sure to help her with recovery. My wife stays at home during the day so someone would be able to keep an eye on her even if it's early in the week. We've never force fed a guinea pig before, and usually have to give meds by syringing them onto lettuce and feeding that to them by hand. But if need be, we'll make it work - somehow things that seem impossible become doable when it's important.

zygote

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:49 pm

We got the ultrasound done today. There was a cyst in her left ovary and a mass within the wall of the uterus. I am waiting to hear back about what the mass could mean, but I am guessing that the vet can't tell me for sure without a biopsy.

But the bottom line is we are definitely going to spay her. The surgery is scheduled for October 30th (the next available date). She'll stay overnight for additional pain management and to make sure she eats. They are prepared to force feed if necessary. There will be a night nurse there to monitor her on the 30th. Luckily I don't have Halloween plans, so I'll be able to be with her all night after she comes home without having to cancel anything.

Ah, the irony of this thread title now...Hindsight is 20/20.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:54 pm

I hope all goes well. Do update us and read up on the post op advice.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:58 am

I, too, hope all goes well with the surgery. My three piggies and myself will keep our fingers and toes crossed. (This may help Fuzz to keep her feet poop free!) I know it's not a joking matter and I do sincerely hope all goes well.

zygote

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:42 am

Thank you for the well wishes!

Her surgery was this morning and it went well. The vet said there was an ovarian cyst and uterine mass as expected. She didn't see any visible evidence of anything spreading, and the mass looked like a benign leiomyoma. She's sending the cyst and mass out for biopsy to be sure. But she is hopeful that the surgery was curative and that the pig will feel much better.

She's resting now and will stay overnight so they can make sure her pain is controlled and she starts eating. We'll pick her up tomorrow evening!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:29 pm

I hope the recovery goes well. I encourage you to reread the advice on the postop link.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:18 pm

Sounds like good news.

zygote

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:40 am

I just got a call that she took a sudden downturn this morning. Her breathing is labored and her lungs sound wet. They gave antibiotics, but said there is likely an underlying issue and she might not make it. I’m on my way there now. I’m not sure what else they can do. I knew this could happen but I’m devastated.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:53 am

Oh, I am sorry to hear this. Hoping for the best.

zygote

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:03 am

We got here too late. She just passed away.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:11 am

Oh zygote! I'm so sorry.