Bite Wound, Hole in Face

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:10 am

Lynx, I completely agree! There are a lot of products for humans and animals alike that are useless but unfortunately marketed to improve health. I usually give them some kind of treat anyway, I so figured trading her usual treat for the digestive health tablets as a treat at least couldn't do any harm, and if it does happen to work, fantastic! I think the main ingredient is timothy hay, but I do know it does include chicory root and ginger root. We use chicory root as a supplement in humans as a prebiotic to help support healthy bacteria, and there are studies regarding the benefit in human gut flora, but I don't know if there are any studies specifically for guinea pigs. One of the other things I noticed it contained is ginger root, which we use in humans that have low gastric motility and functional dyspepsia. Again, there are plenty of studies for the benefit in human populations, but I'm not sure if studies have been done specifically for guinea pigs. Either way, she seems to enjoy the, so if they don't do anything else, at least it's just a little bit of added fiber to her diet that is disguised as a treat! :o)

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:27 am

Another little update as well...

I noticed Maggie was leaving more calcium spots than usual on her fleece the past couple days, and she also was peeing less volume but with more frequency. She also was peeing on me more than usual (within a 30 min lap time, about 3 times), which is highly unusual for her, and this led me to believe she had less control of her bladder than usual. Another quick trip to the vet today revealed a tiny bladder stone in the urethra, which was easily removed, as well as a UTI. Fortunately, the UTI was caught very early, she doesn't seem to be in much pain, and a bacteria sensitivity test revealed it should be easily treated. The vet is fairly positive this has been a result of her refusing to drink while she was struggling with the GI stasis and bloat. While infusions of lactated ringers can help keep their bodies hydrated, it is not as beneficial to their urinary tract as drinking. Even though she's been drinking for the past couple weeks, the bladder stone likely formed then and has taken this long to pass through her urinary tract and get lodged in the urethra. I also believe that her lethargy while being so sick greatly contributed to this as well; even though I kept her hair cut short and changed her bed often, not moving after urinating multiple times still kept that area slightly damp and could have contributed to the UTI. I thought I would share so others who have had issues with GI motility and refusing water can be on the lookout for urinary tract issues as well!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:50 am

I am glad you are so observant and had this taken care of. And glad she did not need surgery.

I don't remember if I have mentioned it, but some people soak some of the hay in water (which guinea pigs seem to love), removing uneaten wet hay in an hour or two to prevent it getting moldy. You might try that too.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:52 pm

I was very thankful she didn't need surgery. That was my biggest fear when I noticed the calcium spots and suspected she may have a bladder stone.

And yes you have! Maggie absolutely loves wet hay; I started doing it when she was very ill and wouldn't drink. She's drinking very well now, but sometimes she still gets some wet hay just for a little extra hydration. She just thinks she's getting a special treat!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:44 pm

I personally think the extra liquid would help any guinea pig (it seems many don't drink a lot). So as frequent treats for her and any other guinea pig is a great idea.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:41 pm

Maggie, who I have been blessed to have had her in good health since October, has been having a new issues. Two weeks ago tomorrow, her front tooth was very thick towards the gums, and extremely loose. It ended up falling off/breaking off that night. The vet said to give it time and it would grow back. She was eating just fine (even better without the loose and surely painful tooth). Two weeks later, the tooth hadn’t grown at all. Last night I got home from work and she wouldn’t eat her nightly veggies, which is extremely unlike her. Did her daily weighing and she weighed SEVERAL grams less, and her tummy felt empty. She tried to eat half a grape, but opened her mouth and let it drop and refused to eat it again as if painful.

Fortunately, I’m in a different city for the month than I usually am, and there is an emergency exotics vet. I took her around 10:30pm and two hours later all he said was “That tooth is a MESS. It’s probably dead and she’ll need surgery. Take her to (x) vet in the morning. Here’s 2.5 days of antibiotics (Baytril) and pain meds (Metacam).” Soooo pretty useless.

This morning I took her to the recommended exotics hospital. The vet called the emergency vet an idiot and said that while the tiny nub that is left of her tooth is yellower than it should be, it didn’t appear to be dead. The vet gave me 10 days of Baytril, Rimadyl, another bag of Critical Care, and a 15g syringe of Bene-Bac Plus Pet Gel with the directions of 1g daily. She also recommended several daily helpings of poop soup.

I’m open to any and all suggestions regarding her new issue, but I’m especially worried about the Bene-Bac dosing. Today I gave her about a gram and a half (the half extra being on accident from the learning curve of using that particular syringe and it’s dosing mechanism. Is anyone familiar with that particular Bene-Bac product and if this dosing seems right? Giving it to her just seemed like a LOT but it is once daily dosing. Also the baytril is twice daily...should I be dividing up that gram to give 60-90 minutes after each dose, or continue once daily? I want to trust this vet, she seemed knowledgeable, but from previous experiences I always tend to question a new vet until I know I can trust them.

Added note: she’s been eating since her dose of Metacam last night. I still have two more doses of Metacam for tonight and tomorrow before I have to start using the Rimadyl the second vet gave her (she also said to wait an extra day between the two pain meds to make sure the Metacam is out of her system before starting the Rimadyl). I’m still supplementing with CC until her diet gets back up to its normal outrageous self. She’s eating it without any fighting now that the pain is down, so she’s definitely hungry and willing to eat.
Last edited by GreysGuineaPigs on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:50 pm

Dosing probiotics is an art, not a science. No matter what anybody says, you're just guessing at what you're giving.

And yes, you should be giving some 60-90 minutes after each antibiotic dose.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks Bpatters, I’ll attempt to divide it in half for her to go with antibiotics. I was mostly concerned because it’s for “dogs, cats, and other small mammals” with the dosing on the actual syringe saying “1g daily for animals up to 10lbs” and it seemed bizzare to give a guinea pig the same amount as a 10lb puppy! Haha. Of course it is ‘only’ a probiotic so it’s not like it would cause her to overdose, but I always want to make sure, especially with everything we’ve been through with her health. Her history of chronic bloat and episode of GI stasis may also be why the vet wants her to get a little extra good bacteria in her stomach.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:48 pm

I checked the Bene-Bac dosing from my vet's instructions. It was also 1 gram daily. (Although, as bpatters said, there is wiggle room with probiotics.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:17 pm

More about probiotics:
www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

And yes, definitely more of an art. They may help and shouldn't hurt.

GreysGuineaPigs

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Emergent help please!!!

I just made a massive mistake and my vet closed 51 minutes ago. She changed the Baytril dosage form from liquid to a tablet that I crush and mix with 1mL water. I did this and gave it to Maggie just a few minutes ago. About 30 seconds after I finished wrangling the syringe in her mouth and fighting the 1ml down her....I realized that the dose was supposed to be divided into two! I just gave her a whole 22.5mg tablet mixed with water. She’s only 1065 grams. Is there anything I can do? I forced 5 cc’s of water down her to help flush it down a little, but after the fight with critical care than the antibiotic tonight, that’s all she would take. I’m at a complete loss of what to do.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Biggest concern, I'd think, would be diarrhea and loss of appetite. Are you still using a probiotic? I'd want to get that into her about an hour after you gave the Baytril, and then monitor for any signs of loose bowels, lack of appetite, lethargy. Be prepared to handfeed if she stops eating.