KM's Hayloft

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:25 pm

Baba, was it a valid email? Maybe no one saw it. Perhaps they are set up only for ordering through the website now. Linda was incredibly responsive and flexible but it it was her baby.

I'm just about to order some pellets, domestically. I will update here if there's anything to note. The last batch arrived OK.

Baba

Post   » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Yes indeed, they should say if they don't want to deliver to Canada anymore. I was more than 14 years a customer
and been with Linda through quite some hay adventures. I got my pellets always in a flat rate box and this worked
quite fine, given the fact shipping was going to be quite expensive. That's why I quit ordering hay, but for pellets
I would still go that way.

mmeadow - I contacted them through their website, but they don't seem to care too much about. Maybe they are
well over their head in it and may have underestimated the work involved. Linda was and is an exceptional person
and can't be compared with the new owners obviously.

Waddles
Party Poop-er

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:49 pm

From my experience and others I've read here, they don't seem to be set up to respond to questions in timely manner or at all.

I hesitated ordering from them at first but, based on feedback here, I decided to go ahead and order their 3rd cut which arrived earlier this month.
It is indeed, as Bookfan said, lovely and one of the nicest 3rd cuts I've seen.

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:28 pm

I may end up trying KMS at some point as the wife had been getting some called JoJos best from Amazon. The first two boxes we had were OK but the last two were very dusty (or shaky as my daughter put it) an done was a very odd color (a very dark grey) with stuff in it that didn't look like Hay so we stopped using that box and got a fresh one but that was still pretty dusty compared to the first two.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:34 pm

My pellets arrived today, after only a week. That's actually more quickly than Linda usually was able to deliver.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:03 am

I've had no trouble since the change of ownership.  Linda gave great service, but Dan has been helpful as well and my orders always arrive quickly.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:01 pm

I just ordered from KMS with no problems. I ordered on a Sunday. It shipped on Tuesday and it arrived the next week on Wednesday. The quality was excellent. Below is a picture of KMS third cut timothy on the left vs Small Pet Select third cut on the right. The KMS is much greener and softer. The new owners don’t appear to be using the Facebook page which is why they didn’t respond to Facebook messages. I’m still not sure why they don’t respond to regular messages but I’m back to ordering from KMS again. Their quality is just so much better.

DPickles

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:54 pm

In October, I ordered from various places in reverse order farmer Dave, JoJo, small pet select, and oxbow and kaytee (the last two were me thinking pet stores were all right then I read up on this website and others). My girls are used to oxbow and they about fought over farmer Dave’s. The baby boys will eat it in a bowl. All four actually like oat hay too.i got that from online pet stores from oxbow and alfalfa king. The farmer and JoJo smelled similar and looked fresher than the small pet select. The girls like alfalfa king over oxbow for oat hay blend. Charlie is Gaga for oxbow oat hay. I am slowly mixing in the others as the girls are not that picky. I saw that farmer Dave is on amazon now. I won’t need hay for some time but am glad the girls eat it as I am still working on the boys. Wilbur will eat it but as he is smallest, not much compared unless it is when I am not watching. I am thinking about growing wheat grass. I have tried different “healthier” pellets and so far the boys just want oxbow baby pellets and the girls prefer their oxbow that they have eaten for the last four years before I adopted them.

rjespicer

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:16 pm

We get Jo Jos and have had 2 bad boxes out of 5. One was very grey in color with a lot of stuff in it that wasn't hay and another was really dusty and crushed with lots of little pieces and not many decent sized leafs. Our 3 love it but I wish the quality was a bit more consistent. Might check out Farmer Dave next time.

DPickles

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:23 pm

I just ordered some oat hay from KMS as well as some bluegrass and pellets to try. I wish people would not put soy into their pellets but at least there is no hidden alfalfa that I noted. The SHIPPING about floored me. It's high for everyone who isn't a Walmart or Amazon. We're subsidizing their free shipping I think. Anyway, I'll get off my pulpit. I read up on oat hay and decided it wasn't a treat hay but a good teeth grinding choice to add. I have been having itchy eyes a lot more lately since I got the piggies so maybe I will switch to just oat hay later on though bluegrass is supposed to be a better choice for allergies too. I will have to pay attention. I still have a lot of timothy hay to use though I'm going through a lot of it with the girls and the boys now that I took it off the various worthless hay racks and put it in a bowl for them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Nobody, including Walmart and Amazon, has free shipping.

Shipping is either included in the price of the item, or it's an add-on. The shipping companies don't work for free, and those that use their own fleets, such as Walmart, have to pay for those trucks/gas/drivers/insurance/whatever.

If you compare the cost of KMS pellets to those you get at a local store, they're MUCH cheaper per pound. They're about the cost of the PELLETS you'd get from a local store, but the local store has already added the shipping costs in to their advertised price. KMS doesn't do that, and you pay shipping depending on how far you are from their farm.

When you see "free shipping" advertised, it's sometimes a way to conduct a sale without having to re-jigger the website to accommodate the different calculations. The company just eats the shipping costs, in that case.

Just remember NILIF -- nothing in life is free.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:12 pm

For hay and pellets, a main driver of cost is shipping. Smaller businesses do the best they can. And indeed, Amazon spreads the costs around (and has warehouses all over).