Sudden thirst increase, urine scald, high calcium, diet

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Why is he on Bactrim? Does he have a diagnosed UTI?

daj

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:53 pm

No. They ruled out diabetes and stones. They advised checking his urine, but I hadn't succeeded it collecting it and getting it to them. Then he started sneezing at night... not a lot. I asked about an antibiotic, and they provided it. Is it a bad idea? I intend to get a urine sample to them tomorrow.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:14 pm

I don't like giving antibiotics to guinea pigs unless they're really sick and need one. Antibiotics can really do a number on their digestive tracts, and I avoid them whenever possible. That said, if a pig actually has definite signs of a UTI (excess drinking isn't a definitive sign, in my book), or definite signs of a URI, then yes, I'd want an antibiotic. But to give them one when you don't know what's wrong with them not only may not help, it may hurt, and it may also mask what's actually going on, making it harder to get an accurate diagnosis.

daj

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:30 pm

I agree. It has been agonizing though... going on for a month now. Right now there are no other signs of trouble. He was just popcorning. Tonight will be the 4th dose. He still drinks a lot, always right after eating. Should I stop the antibiotic? I wonder if I've worried about something I shouldn't, but it has been so distressing watching and hearing him drink and drink.

daj

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:28 pm

Actually, I shouldn't say there are no other signs of trouble. He does stay in his box more, and I have seen him sleeping more.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:05 pm

In my limited experience, one sign of a likely UTI is an odor in the hair around the bottom. I had females so wet hair with bacteria in it was noticeable. I don't know if males are equally smelly if they have a UTI.

daj

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:02 pm

I don't smell anything on him, but he has no hair on his butt. He's hairless. Right now he isn't drinking. I hope it's tapering off. He has 4 doses in him at this point, and I am following each about an hour later with the poo mix.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:54 am

Good point. With a hairless guinea pig, it sounds like cystocentesis would be required to identify a UTI (removal of urine for testing directly from the bladder, to avoid contamination).

I believe sometimes this is done with the aid of an ultrasound to identify the bladder.

daj

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:13 pm

Well, the results of his urinalysis are back, and it all looks good, no infection, bacteria, high calcium crystals or anything else. We are into the 4th day of antibiotic. He is tolerating it well and seems totally fine, except for the drinking. The antibiotic has not had any effect on the drinking. The vet said the next thing to try is blood work. I am wondering if I need to finish out the antibiotic. The vet first said no, but then changed her mind when I questioned it. Can you advise?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 pm

If you are not having any negative consequences (primarily inappetence - sometimes diarrhea), finishing out the antibiotic may still help.

daj

Post   » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:33 pm

I am doubtful of it having any benefit in terms of the thirst, but I wonder about the advice to always finish the course so as not to leave the more resistant bugs. Is this not an issue if there was no infection to begin with, in which case I would rather stop it? Is there any harm in stopping early if it seems not to have been the right thing to do?

daj

Post   » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:34 pm

I have another question in addition to the one about stopping the antibiotic early, if I may.

I am told a blood test involves sedating him and taking it from the jugular vein. I would be extremely reluctant to subject him to this. Is this standard? The best/only way?