Can I give my pigs fresh grass instead of hay?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:40 pm

Wheat grass is different from the grass that grows outside. When you buy a tray of wheat grass, it is young and sugary. Not the same as picking some grass from your nice clean lawn with established grass.

lilythepig2017

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:25 pm

I had no idea. That’s a shame. Is there a way the grow and mature it inside?

Also, wouldn’t the young grass be more nutrionally dense though? Is the sugar a lot more?

Thanks

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:16 pm

I don't think there is a problem with small amounts. But trying to give lots could cause problems.

Young oats are sugary too. If you ever grow some, after it is a foot tall or so, try chewing on the stem (quite sugary).

Fresh blades of established grass are not as sugary. You can tell this yourself by chewing on the grass.

lilythepig2017

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:00 am

Thanks for your reply

How long does it need to establish before it loses that high sugar? If I planted it in a little flower bed of grass during nice months and let it establish for a month would that be long enough for it to lose that sugar quality?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 pm

I think that would be fine. You might try a mildew resistant fescue.

lilythepig2017

Post   » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:14 pm

ok thanks!

BlossomClover

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi, I didn't realise you need to introduce fresh grass slowly, thought it was the same as hay - what should I do if my guinea pig has indigestion from it? She has been off her food and I was so pleased to see her tucking into something with suite enthusiasm, now I'm worried!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:10 pm

You keep handfeeding Critical Care or a pellet mash and hay until her GI tract settles down, then you add veggies back one by one, 48 hours between each new one, until she's eating normally.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:15 pm

Yes, do this slowly. The biggest issue is in the spring when there is lots of fresh, soft young grass and a guinea pig might eat too much if not accustomed to it.