Zyrtec's skin problem

annelie

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:04 pm

Lynx wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:55 pm I don't know about "bulbous buttercup" but here, buttercup is a poisonous plant.

Some of the products have so many ingredients, I don't know if they are really there (and in what quantities) and what they do.

www.guinealynx.info/forages.html
www.guinealynx.info/forages_poisonous.html
Thank you! I actually never realised they may put a poisonous plant in pellets! Wont be giving him JR grainless as there is no point in risking any irritations.

annelie

Post   » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:40 am

Z is improving and I am removing all pellets at the moment as this seems to work the best. I will instead focus on reintroducing greens. He got cilantro today (I prefer cilantro as it does not cause gritty urine for him) and he tolerates it well this time! Stool is much denser and with a darker color, shaped like tear drops.
Once I get some veggies into his diet safely (and with stable GI) I can try and see if he will tolerate any pellets. I think that it's possible that once he is more stable he may tolerate pellets that previously made him gassy.

annelie

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:49 am

Update

The day after cilantro (small amounts) his stomach completely crashed with bloat and tiny hard poops. It resolved with simethicone after 4h. He ate hay and drank insane amounts of water during the whole ordeal.

Nothing works. He improves for a day, max 2 and then falls back. Nothing is changed during the time of relapse. Hay only doesn't even really work.
Any suggestions are welcome!

Ill contact my vet to see if there is anything we can do but for now absolutely nothing really helped

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:24 pm

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear he is still having issues.

Have you thought of having his poops analysed to see if there is an overgrowth of the wrong kind of bacteria?

It might be worthwhile reading over this page:
www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:13 am

Im not sure if it is worth a try but our 3 girls love wheatgrass. They mow through about 2 trays per day.
We alo give them Oxbow Digestive Supplement treats.

Lynx or bpatters do you think Probiotics like benebac may help or getting some poop from a healthy piggy?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:42 am

Either probiotics or poop soup would be worth a try.

annelie

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:00 am

Thank you guys for your thoughts.
The poop has been analysed by two different clinics and neither found anything. He has for several weeks been on standard powdered capsule probiotics, then biolapis, and finally ampoules of lyophilised lactobacillus rhamnosus. Nothing helps.
I have given him several poop soup rounds and nothing.
We are seeing the vet on monday again (almost weekly visits now) but things are not looking good.

Thursday and friday he had some very odd cycling. First diarrhoea for approx. an hour, followed by well formed and firm poops. After ca half hour he was back to his sticky poops that he has on a daily basis. This same thing happened next day. The important part is that absolutely nothing is changing in his diet or behaviour during these times.

He doesn't tolerate anything. Veg, pellet (in small amounts) or anything other than just plain hay gives him painful bloats and is immediately followed by peristalsis that is so fast and gassy you can see exact movement of bowels under the skin. This of course leads to that anything he ate is passing way too fast for absorption. I am not even sure it is allergy that I am dealing with since all this is happening while he is only eating orchard grass hay and vitamin supplements.
The second time I tried giving him diaro-herb ("a mixture of herbs favorably affecting the functioning of the digestive tract during diarrhea (P. lanceolata, P.psyllium, R.plicatus, F.vesca, V. myrtillus, A.calamus, C.heterophyllum, P.erecta, P.bistora") but that did nothing.
During previous episodes he has been given human drugs for diarrhoea which also did nothing for him.

To add insult to the injury, I think he is now developing early stage pododermatitis due to obvious sticky poop reasons, and no matter how much I clean I can't keep up. (We started epsom salt baths)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:05 am

I am so sorry he is so ill. Have you tried Equine Bio-Sponge? This is described on the diarrhea page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

annelie

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:26 pm

I saw it but haven't tried it as it isn't available here. He has tried Carobin pet which seems to be similar.

Description: Adsorbent with properties stronger than kaolin and vegetable carbon High effect mitigating the effects of metabolic acidosis, which often occurs in long-term diarrhea. The content of potassium reduces the hydration time of the body. Full compatibility with any pharmacological treatments
The nucleotide content of DNA and RNA stimulates the intestinal immune system

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:13 pm

The nucleotide content of DNA and RNA stimulates the intestinal immune system
That is marketing babble, for sure.

annelie

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:31 pm

bpatters wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:13 pm

That is marketing babble, for sure.
Oh yea! No doubt about that

annelie

Post   » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:42 am

He was rapidly getting worse so now he is on prednisone (steroid, anti-inflammatory) 1mg per day orally. Poop improved within a day, but he is not gaining weight yet. We will evaluate the dose by end of the week.