Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:16 am

Hello Bpatters, Thank-you for your reply! I think you would have the right to get fed up with vets as I am!

When Jan was ill and Petal way back in 2004, vets admitted they knew nothing about guinea pigs and said whats to know, you PTS get another piggy and move on! IN 15 years here vet care for guinea pigs have not changed!

We took Jan to a total of 7 vets, 2 of them refused to treat her because she was a guinea pig, 3 wanted to just PTS as she wasn't worth the time or money to treat!

I will try the Baytril BUT I won't be happy about it! You are lucky to live where you are and have a choice between decent vets!

When Jessie had ear infection Kirsty actually listened to me and we both decided on the treatment. Carol will not listen and says we will do this and that is final!

I still believe Jan was badly treated when seen, I mean the poor baby had massive head tilt, why just say take her home and watch her? It was another vet who gave the Baytril! Thanks again for your reply and insight!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:17 pm

I sympathize with frustrations about medical care in general. I’ve had plenty of those moments myself with my dogs. I think it should have a name like Vet Remorse or something. The problem is that at the time we have only the current problem to go on and that gets treated. Then another problem occurs and that gets treated. It’s like a puzzle. We don’t know what the puzzle looks like and we don’t have all the pieces. After everything is said done, we look back at all the symptoms and treatments and we kick ourselves (and we want to kick the vets) for not figuring it out earlier. The truth is, we would do anything to make our animals well again and sometimes there are too many complications for that to happen.

Daisymay, you made the best choices you could with the resources and information that you had. You are giving your little ones the best care you can.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:26 am

Third, middle and inner ear infections can be very difficult to treat. There's not much blood supply to those areas, and ultimately, the bloodstream is how the medicine travels around the body.
When Jan first saw Carol her head tilt was around 10%. Even I could see the head tilt which is why I suggested the ears. NO temp or heart rate checked.The following week head tilt was around 30% and still Carol claimed she could find nothing. Was told to take her home and watch her. Still no temp or heart rate checked! On both times ears were not checked.

A few days later Jan's head till was around 70%, it was like she was having trouble holding her head up. A vet who had never seen Jan before saw the head tilt. Hence the injection.

Around 3 days later Jan's head was so far tilt on the left side it wasn't far from the ground! At least with Kirsty who admitted she knew nothing about guinea pigs was willing to listen and to learn. Whilst Carol listens at times she goes on her own train of thought and never takes into consideration!

When Jan first presented problems I asked her to consult with another vet just to confirm either mine or her suspicions. She didn't feel it was in her best interest. Now that Joy has a very slight tilt she has contacted Dr Vella. Why was it poor Jan had to suffer cause she wouldn't listen to me (a) head tilt, (b) check the ears, (c) contact another vet who sees more guinea pigs than she does. I am not saying Jan would still be here but at least she may have had a chance. I am fed up losing my pigs and seeing them suffer at the hands of damn vets! Believe it or not Carol is around the best vet to go too. 6 out of 10 vets prefer PTS than treating or wasting time on a guinea pig!

You have decent vets in UK and USA here we are still in the dark ages when it comes to guinea pig care or lack there off!

Thanks for the reply ItsaZoo. May everyone have a great 2019 slaves and piggies alike!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:58 am

Has Joy been over dosed on Baytril? Just giving you an update on Joy! I knew I should have listened to myself and past experiences but no yet again I lacked in my convictions!
Before the Baytril Joy had slight head tilt but was eating and gaining weight, now after the Baytril she is not eating-well selective eating.
First I think 0.35 twice a day was/is way too much! Jessie and Jan were around 650grams they got 0.12 twice a day, Jasmine who was around 850grams got 0.7 twice a day, Thumper our rabbit who was around 1500grams he got 0.4. Joy weighs roughly on average 750grams she should have only gotten 0.15 at best! I am sure Joy has been over dosed on the stuff!
Jupiter was on Baytril, she was gone a week later, Jasmine was on Baytril, she was gone in 3 weeks, Thumper was on Baytril and was gone in 10 days. Jan was on Baytril, responded well to the Injection but once orally went down hill fast and was gone in 3 days. ALL of them lost their appetite! Now this may have Baytril OR it stirred something inside them/her?

To stimulate things have put Joy on a tenth of a tablet of Metomide twice a day instead of once a day. She is being hand fed but she looks very miserable. She lost 30graqms on Wednesday but Thursday-yesterday she only lost 4grams. We got some catgrass not much as it is not growing in this heat and this is the only thing she will eat by herself.

Only Jessie a tough little cookie fought off the Baytril! Jupiter and Jasmine passed in 2017, Thumper in 2006 and I still have their bottles of Baytril in the fridge, so I know what doses they got. I know there is a page with dose by grams but for me that is way confusing.

I hope Joy picks up soon! Could the Baytril have stirred something inside of her? like an infection and that is why she stopped eating? Or was it the Baytril itself? She got 5 doses before I took her off it, was supposed to be on it for 10 days. BUT (a) I couldn't bear to see her like that and (b) 0.35 seemed a lot for a 750gram piggy!

Any advise much appreciated as I am one worried piggy slave! She stopped the Baytril-had last dose Wednesday morning-nearly 48 hours ago. Surely it would be out of her system by now? thanking any replies in advance.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:28 pm

We can't tell anything about how much they got without knowing the strength of each dose of Baytril.

It usually comes in standard dosages, but my vet has it compounded and the strength is nothing like what most vets use. Each bottle should have something like mg/ml, or maybe a percent on it. That's the only way to know how much each got.

Baytril is notorious for killing pigs' appetites, but it's also on the few antibiotics they can take without even more serious consequences. I never give it without giving a dose of probiotics an hour or so later, and without being ready to hand feed and hydrate by syringe.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:57 pm

Joy \is on Protexin and has been for sometime! I am kicking myself for starting the Baytril! Before it she had slight head tilt but was eating and gaining weight. Now she is not eating, fluffed up and eyes sunken.

Still hand feeding but doesn't look good. She has a vet appointment for today, but will be a waste of money as they don't know what they are doing.

Keep you posted, and thanks for reply bpatters.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:19 am

Just got back from vet. Joy is off the Baytril and now on Meloxicam. It seems in the 2 weeks since seeing Carol, Joy's teeth have gone from straight to where both sides nearly touch. Nina the vet(Carol on holidays) wondered whether Joy was in pain? Incase teeth were rubbing against her tongue.

As Nina has never done a pig's teeth all going well hoping we can wait till Carol comes back on the 29th of this month.

Will keep you posted on how we go! Was looking for pictures of Jan and found 2 of Joy. In one head tilts to the right and the other to the left. Seeing as she's young in both pictures maybe she had always done it and didn't notice as (a) she has long fur and (b) we noticed after Jan had major tilt.

When get PC I will post the pictures- using very old laptop at the moment. Of to massage Joy, got her first dose of Meloxicam about 30 minutes ago. So paws crossed!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:34 am

I don't think you can wait four weeks on a tooth trimming if they're nearly overlapping her tongue now. She won't be able to swallow.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:57 pm

I don't think you can wait four weeks on a tooth trimming if they're nearly overlapping her tongue now. She won't be able to swallow
We don't have much of a choice as the two vets have never done guinea pigs teeth before and Carol is away till the 29th. NO other vet here has done a guinea pigs teeth as most people don't bother taking their pigs to the vet.

Thanks for the reply! Have NOT given up yet!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:46 pm

Okay, Joy has had teeth done. All good there. But now-have you seen the Bugs bunny cartoon where he takes off his glove and blows into it to make it bigger?

Well one of Joy's front paws is like that, very swollen, tight and not really flexible. Been on Baytril now for 3 weeks with NO improvement. Tried hot packs(wrapped in towel) Epsom salt baths nothing has worked.

Tried getting Bactrim today NO vet and NO chemist in Australia has it and they won't be getting it in. Carol is of opinion if NO Bactrim then has to be Baytril. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Has to be something besides Baytril which is doing nothing.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:04 pm

Chloramphenicol penetrates bone very well if you think it's a bone infection.

rjespicer

Post   » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:05 pm

Just be careful with Chloramphenicol we were told to wear gloves when using it on one of ours and to wash hands thoroughly and not get it anywhere near your mouth or anything that you may put in or near your mouth.