How to bandage a wiggly piggy?

MorganM

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:47 am

It is great news, thanks!

Yeah I'll try to get a photo or two up soon.

Here's a pic of how they move dolphins.
https://goo.www.guinealynx.info//xJ46Hq

M1dn1ght

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:33 am

Morgan -

What an innovative way to solve this problem. I'm so glad to hear that your baby is doing better!

It always amazes me how our little guys prompt some really creative thinking.

Psychobabbler

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:58 am

That is brilliant - and I can see it being totally useful for nail cutting time!

MorganM

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:40 pm

I'm so happy and amazed how well hes healing. There is NO scab, red dot, or wound ... Swellong is almost gone.... It looks healed over and just needs to finish healing internally.

Think its 9k to go with out a bandage now?

Should I keep soaking it with 40:1 povidon iodine : water solutuon?

If yes to either...when do I know to stop?

Thanks!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:43 am

That's good news. I know from personal experience how much of a relief it is when our guinea pigs get well. It feels like a giant weight is lifted. If it's not 100% healed inside and out, I'd keep soaking and keep it bandaged. That's just me. One of the more experienced members might know better or you could ask the vet.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:40 am

Any chance you could post a picture of it here?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:38 am

Here are your excellent pictures!

Your guinea pig looks rather resigned :-)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:17 pm

MorganM, could you also send a photo of the foot as it looks now, for Lynx to post here?

MorganM

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:48 pm

Some notes on the sling

Be sure to cut the leg holes larger than you think. Their feet are huge relative to their legs. Also you want them to be able to walk out of it whem you sit them down. You don't want the bandaged foot to get stuck or they pull it off or get tangled up and panic.

To get them out just set them down gently in their cage and let them simply walk out!

You'll want plenty of space between the front leg holes and the edge of the sling. You don't want their head hanging out. The edge of the towel could choke them.

I put them in head first from the back of the sling and set them in it. Usually I can get one back leg in while putting them in. Them I lift the other back leg and put it in the hole. The front paws are more tricky... They can pull them out pretty easily until its ALL the way in.

Give plenty of head rubs, gentle words and try not to rock them around too much. It's easy to be doing something, let go of them as you turn away and they sway around.

Zaphy

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:19 pm

That is a really clever idea! I've only tried to wrap a pig's foot once to keep her from scratching at her surgical wound and never had any luck- filing that sling idea away in the "just in case" part of my brain...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Here are your additional pictures.

Hope everything heals up fine!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:42 pm

Is that the foot as it looks now?