small poops

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 am

I always just use a 1ml syringe. This and other sites suggest that size to avoid aspiration. It also helps to put the syringe at a slight angle in the mouth so that you're aiming towards the cheeks and not directly down the throat. As mentioned, 1ml works well once you cut the tip completely off. I mix CC so that it's thin enough to go through the syringe but not so thin that the formula is too watered down.

I would definitely check back with your regular vet as soon as possible. It doesn't sound like the other vet is experienced with guinea pigs. At what dose is the Albon supposed to be given?

In the meantime, do watch for weight loss and any signs that he is not tolerating that antibiotic (personally, I'd be inclined to call back and ask for either Baytril or Bactrim), and be prepared to take him back if he doesn't show any improvement or is getting worse.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:44 am

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:34 am

You asked on the other thread about how much to hand feed him. The rule of thumb is that a guinea pig that's eating nothing else needs 100+ cc of Critical Care for every kilogram it weighs, every day, split into 6-8 feedings around the clock. Adjust up or down according to the weight of the pig, and down if the pig is eating anything on its own.

piggypatrol

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:12 pm

I thought i would give a little update, weighed oliver this morning and he weighed the same he did last night 2.50lbs. I gave him his first feeding this morning he took about 2.5mg BUT BIG PLUS! after the feeding he started eating hay on his own!!! hes been in the hay pan for about an hour and on and off and even started drinking a little water on his own!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:21 pm

Oh, that's good news! Fingers crossed for continued improvement.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:25 pm

Excellent news! I hope he keeps on eating hay!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:42 pm

I found with Scruffy when he was battling a bowel infection that the critical care stimulated his appetite, particularly after he stopped passing bloody stools. I had to feed him on a small table because he resisted the syringe, especially at first. It helped a lot to keep a small pile of Timothy hay right there for him to nibble on, play with or sit in as he pleased. The more he healed up, the more hay he ate until I didn't have to hand feed him anymore.

So happy your little one is doing better and eating on his own. Make sure you monitor his weight and give him probiotic 60-90 minutes after the antibiotic dose. Credit for that advice goes to bpatters and a few others who gave me the same advice when I was dealing with Scruffy's illness.

piggypatrol

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:27 pm

hes eating more he even had some lettuce leaves and cilantro when i served the piggies their vegtables. My last feeding session with him i had a piece of red bell pepper that he ate up and then i syringe fed him some CC. I was thinking of adding some vitamin c to his water is it ok to crush up the oxford vitamin c tablet and blend it in his water when i syringe feed it to him or should i be using drops or something?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:33 am

As far as I know, you can crush the vitamin c tablet, dissolve it in water and syringe feed it to him. I didn't use tablets for Scruffy. The vet gave him an injection and his remaining doses were liquid. I don't think it matters as long as he gets it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:58 am

It's not a good idea to put vitamin C drops in his drinking water, since it quickly degrades. Will he not eat an Oxbow Vitamin C tablet as-is?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Since you mentioned adding it to his water, I thought I should reinforce what you are saying about that. When Scruffy got sick, the vitamin drops I bought had instructions to do just that, so I did with Mr Bubbles and he refused to drink it. By the end of the day, I found out why. The water had started to get a little cloudy. All I can think of is because the water here has a higher alkaline level it must have reacted with the vitamins or one of the inert ingredients in the solution.

It's really a waste to add it to their water anyway because guinea pigs don't normally drink enough water fast enough to get a full dose. Mr Bubbles eats plenty of vitamin C in his diet now because after Scruffy, I learned a lot about how to make sure of it. However if he needs a boost of vitamin C, I'll give him the drops directly or if necessary, have the vet give him the shot.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Adding it to water that you're going to immediately syringe to them is fine if they'll take it that way. It's the presence of light and vitamin C in water that causes it to degrade pretty quickly. But it's fine if you're just mixing it and giving it to the pig right away.