Misc posts on topical issues

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 9:17 am

There ARE people on both sides with no moral compass.

But the preponderance of those caught with their pants down in the presence of teen-aged boys and/or women who are not their wives ARE Republican.

The party that is hell-bent on giving every possible dollar to the ultra rich and eliminating any safety net for the poor is the Republican.

The party in Congress that is refusing to exercise its oversight responsibilities is Republican.

The party that is suppressing the vote in every way possible, in every election possible, is Republican.

The party that is refusing to even investigate how Russia penetrated our electoral system, never mind do anything to protect it, is Republican.

The party that is stacking the courts with monumentally unqualified judges is Republican.

The Democrats aren't perfect, but don't tell me both parties are the same, because they damn sure aren't.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed May 01, 2019 4:10 pm

AMEN.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 11:15 am

AMEN indeed.

GPIG

Post   » Thu May 02, 2019 11:58 pm

A fear of appearing to be defending Republicans pushes me to agree to disagree without showing instances of the same types behavior. I honestly believe both sides are equally to blame for what we now have. My viewpoints infuriate Republican friends as much as Democrat friends, which leaves me without a lot of friends :)

I understand. However, I get equally frustrated that people don't see what I'm seeing. I do not have any allegiance to any political party nor do I lean one way or the other.

I am also certain if there isn't a major change in how we govern there is going to be a civil war/unrest on a scope the world may never have seen before.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 8:44 am

GPIG, you're certainly welcome to your viewpoint, but I honestly don't see how you can hold it. You must not be following the news, or else following it very selectively.

Let me suggest that you do some research on the American Legislative Exchange Council -- not just their stuff, but what others have written about them. That's the ultra-libertarian group that has co-opted the Republican party, and for 40+ years has been working to pack the courts with their judges, reduce taxes on the wealthy and on corporations, reduce or (preferably) eliminate the social safety net, and take over government at the state level. Their next goal is a constitutional convention to weaken the power of the federal government and take us back to a federation of states, something we abandoned more than 200 years ago.

And if you're game to do any research on any of the other issues, I can point you to several that show a very clear difference between the parties.

Again, I'm not saying the Democrats are perfect, or that all their ideas need to be enacted. We need two functioning parties (maybe more, but I've never lived in a system with more than that) to have a reasonable government. But this iteration of the Republican party has lost its mind, and if the reasonable members of it don't save themselves from within, we're all going down the tubes.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 am

bpatters tells it like it is (she's my gal!). Reminds me of how there are attempts to create "equivalency" when you are simply comparing oranges with a ding to rotten and decaying apples.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri May 03, 2019 5:30 pm

Nicely resourced, bpatters. Facts are always nice to have.

GPIG

Post   » Sat May 04, 2019 10:57 am

I don't believe much news because most of it is editorialized. I've found that members of both parties will put forth the news story editorialized in a way to make their argument stronger.

I don't believe both parties are the same at all, they are very different. My problem is the result is the same, America will lose at either's leadership.

I was arguing with a pretty educated, "usually sound minded" person last night. I was defending the Democratic party as he went on about how it is the Democratic party destroying the country. I hear the same arguments with different particulars

I don't know if the Guardian is a Conservative paper or not but I find the article with the following link to seems ok, I''ll post below. Again, I think the Republican party is just as bad and if you want to say worse I'm ok with that too it is a particularly stupid time for them but I have thoughts on that I'll keep to myself. I can counter every "good" thing either party is doing but by doing that I appear to defend the other, and I don't want to do that, as I've said.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/10/democrats-working-class-americans-us-election

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 04, 2019 11:18 am

According to Media Bias Fact Check, the Guardian has a left-center bias. It says that the information is factual, but that "loaded words" can be used for emphasis.

I don't think either party editorializes in the strict sense of the word. They put out their viewpoint, but the media does the editorializing as they report on it. I've found Media Bias Fact Check to be pretty accurate in its assessment of sources.

I've said for years that the 24-hour news cycle is going to be the death of the country. All those outlets have to fill their air time/pages/whatever, and there's not enough real "news" to do that. So they bring in experts (some real, some so-called, some just idiots) to fill in the blanks. We were better off, in some ways, when we only had news at 6 and 11.

GPIG

Post   » Sat May 04, 2019 11:36 am

We agree bpatters~!!!!

I was young but I remember there were real journalists allowed to write real news stories and the talking heads who reported it had actually put time in, in places like Vietnam and Angola. There were glorious newspapers in every city. I loved reading the newspapers, I began in 3rd grade. Now, hardly a paper you can count on.

I have met dedicated journalists willing to give their lives to report truthful news, they are still out there. However, it is difficult for them to do so. I'm sure it was always a bit of a challenge but now...... We get stories about WMDs that are written and support a full scale war. And yes, Republicans are to blame for that I don't defend them for anything.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 04, 2019 12:49 pm

Here's an excellent chart of the Media Bias ratings. You'll see a bunch of outlets are just straight down the middle, factual reporting. A number of other good ones report factually but lean one way or the other, especially on editorializing.

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/intro-to-the-media-bias-chart/

GPIG

Post   » Sun May 05, 2019 1:15 pm

Thanks bpatters, checking it out

Next.... Serving fast food to world class athletes. I mean, come on. The first time was because of the Government shutdown. However, knowing Trump is a calculated petty man his continuing the fast food tradition is a dig at Michele Obama trying to bring awareness to eating healthy food. In my humble opinion

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun May 05, 2019 1:25 pm

It also has to do with his fear of being poisoned. That's why he eats so much fast food -- he can send out someone unknown to any of several dozen fast food joints and no one will ever know it's for tRump.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun May 26, 2019 8:52 am

This is a miscellaneous look at Teresa May.

GPIG

Post   » Sun May 26, 2019 2:09 pm

That is so cool
Last edited by GPIG on Sun May 26, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GPIG

Post   » Sun May 26, 2019 2:09 pm

That is so cool

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun May 26, 2019 11:40 pm

I thought so too! It is not new but seemed timely with recent elections and her decision to step down.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon May 27, 2019 10:12 am

Excellent.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon May 27, 2019 1:17 pm

A little creepy, but cool.

Erinspigs

Post   » Thu May 30, 2019 9:41 am

I will be going up in an F16D trainer. I have to memorize the cockpit as part of the exercise. Pretty extensive but should be cool. Here is a link to cockpit controls if anyone is interested, not precisely the one i have to memorize but it gives and idea

http://www.cockpits.net/website/F16AMdescr.html

Not sure when exactly, possibly beginning of next week.

"I meant to put this in the Happiness Thread - sorry)

231 posts