Does anyone check on guinea pigs in rescue?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Ah.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Yes, rabbit bedding pellets with newspaper underneath. It's the Humane Society. They have a tiny budget in this state and rely heavily on donations. The Abby named Foxy in the next cage was eating the newspaper. I saw bits of wilted parsley on the floor. I went back and gave them a 50lb bale of timothy hay I brought back from Illinois. I had 4 of them. Since one bale can last for a few months, I could spare one. The rabbits eat it too, so it'll go quickly. There's a dozen or so rabbits there. That makes me wonder why people get these small animals if they just wind up being sent to the Humane Society. I might start buying a bale of the orchard hay every month along with the pellets to donate. If I can't take them in, I can at least help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:05 pm

That is indeed an adorable guinea pig! I hope she finds a good home and lives a long, healthy life.

I do hope she is not pregnant.

Do you live close by?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:07 pm

Here's Shortcake with Strawberry. Look at how much bigger she is! She's as big as my boar, Mr Bubbles!

I live less than a mile from the Humane Society.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:14 pm

For me, that would be a 15 minute walk! I would be tempted to stop by often.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:01 pm

I stop by every couple of weeks or so. They didn't have any guinea pigs last time. Then last week they got 4 sows and the boar. The little guy got adopted, hopefully by someone who'll give him a good home. I might slip by again tomorrow and make sure Shortcake is indeed a sow and not a boar. The Humane Society is pretty good about getting the gender right, but I should make sure.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:09 pm

Went to check on Strawberry and Shortcake and they're gone. Nobody could tell me what happened to them, but since both of them are gone, it's safe to assume that they've been adopted. Hopefully by a good family. Their Abby neighbor girls, Foxy and Banana are still there and both appear to be happy and in good shape. They actually came up to the side of the cage to sniff my hand and nibble it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:51 pm

I hope they found a good home too!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:28 am

I'll go back and check again tomorrow just in case they were being checked out by the vet or something. Their cage hadn't been cleared out yet and their placards were still there.

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:59 pm

For bedding, could you potentially donate some fleece to them? If they have the capability to wash it, it would provide a lot of piggies more comfort.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:19 pm

I actually have a ton of fleece, but I doubt they would use it. I can donate paper bedding. The problem is that they use the same bedding for the rabbits, who get more resources than the guinea pigs. There's currently 20 or more rabbits there. They always get a big influx of them for the several months after Easter. People get bunnies for their kids and once they figure out how much work it is, they get dumped at the humane society. It's really a shame. There ought to be a law.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:23 pm

It would be nice if you could sponsor a cage for certain types of animals. Our Humane Society takes Kennel sponsorship but I don’t know if it’s just critters in general or certain small pets. Cats and dogs have their own space but critters are in a separate room.