Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 30, 2019 7:47 am

Daisymay, it may be that something is lodged under your caps link key. I remember once finding part of a staple under a key that was preventing it from working properly. Perhaps you can stop by a big chain store with electronics that services computers and see if they could at least use some compressed air to blow out your keyboard (they get dirty). One of the first things recommended is to shut everything off and turn the computer over to see if anything can be dislodged from the keyboard. I haven't lifted off a key for cleaning, but someone who knows what they are doing could do this for you. I once had to replace the keyboard part of a laptop because something was stuck badly (I get used ThinkPads which are user friendly as far as repairing parts - lots of videos online).

More about soaking feet on the antiseptic solutions page and the pododermatitis page (it has the warnings about using Epsom salts).
https://www.guinealynx.info/antiseptic_solutions.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:14 pm

It was suggested to me to get CHLORHEXIDINE-GLUCONATE-SOLUTION-0-1 by Tailshan. I have asked her many times if this is good for the swelling of the front feet but do not get an answer.

One of Joy's front paws is swollen and hard and I am looking for something to take the swelling down. This is why I was soaking her paws in Epsom salt as ot states this helped reduce swelling.

Joy had been on Baytril now for near on 2 weeks with no change in breathing. The sores on her paws have nearly gone. It is the swollen paw and her breathing to deal with. Thanking you in advance. I bought some of the CHLORHEXIDINE-GLUCONATE-SOLUTION-0-1 but can't see how this will help in swelling?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Might help if we can see the foot. Have you posted a recent picture of it?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:46 pm

When I googled it, every hit I got said it reduces swelling. But aside from that, I would take Talishan's advice any time, on any subject relating to guinea pigs.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:42 pm

I would take Talishan's advice any time, on any subject relating to guinea pigs.
Agree!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:47 am

Just an update, seems Joy had loose skin on swollen foot and this has got caught in the vet/dry bed and ripped skin off in two parts causing foot to bleed.

Have bathed foot in water and salt as this is all I have at the moment. When other foot was swollen it seemed to just be swollen with blood. Once foot bled it went back to normal though deformed in the toes.

I have ordered the solution Tailshan suggested. She said to soak Joy's feet in a saucer or plate, could be diluted a bit but as it is 0.1mls not much. Once a day and make sure foot is covered. Make sure 100% dry before going back into her pen. when it comes in the mail I will do so.

As to breathing after nearly 2 weeks on Baytril no change. Just thankful it hasn't gotten worse! Especially as we are in Winter. As usual vet not willing to try anything else.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Well I am officially looking for another vet! After I complained about Jan and how the head tilt, high temp, fast heart rate were not picked up(hard to miss the head tilt). Then I complained heart and paws were not in the X-ray I was told they would no longer treat any of my animals and to look else where!

Truth be known if I had the money I would take them to court over the deaths of Jan, Jemma, Jupiter and Jasmine. But then here guinea pigs don't matter here.

Seeing another vet today, have paws crossed better than the last. Joy is the same, BUT has lost 40 grams even though she is eating. So have put her on Meloxicam in case her paw is sore. Keep you posted!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:01 pm

I hope you are more satisfied with this vet.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:51 am

I hope you are more satisfied with this vet.

No such luck. spent 5 minutes in there. wants to refer to another vet who would put Joy under and stick tube down her mouth to lungs and get some tissue.

Is it just me or does this sound drastic and invasive? She too had no idea why foot was swollen.
Thanks for reply lynx. Keep you posted.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:14 am

I'm sorry that you're having these issues; it must be very frustrating. Why does the new vet want to put a tube down her throat for a lung sample? Can you simply explain to the new vet that you aren't comfortable with this, and would rather try something less invasive first? Or, even better, could you set up a pre-appointment phone call with this new vet to discuss your concerns beforehand? Maybe that would help ease your mind about seeing him/her.

Have you tried the chlorhex solution on Joy's feet as Talishan mentioned? If so and it's not helping, could you possibly take a few pictures of Joy's feet and send them to the vet (and you could also post them here)? That might also lend itself to some discussion of treatment options before you get there--and also help you decide if the trip is worth it. If you don't have a camera, maybe a friend/family member could help you with that.

Otherwise, do you know of any other guinea pig owners at all in your area who could make an exotics vet recommendation to you? I know you are also trying to avoid a lengthy travel, but it may be your only other option.

Again, I'm sorry that you're dealing with all of these issues. Living in an area such as yours with very limited veterinary resources, it does make pet ownership much more challenging.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:36 pm

The heart page does have specific information and some testing that can be done to determine if some sorts of heart issues exist. Do you know anyone else in your area that has had guinea pigs for a long time and their experience with their health?

Chlorhexidine can be extremely drying. I had to alternate it with (I think) diluted povidone iodine. Obviously, the cause should be investigated. I can say for my guinea pig Nina, it was just managing the foot and it never got permanently better. Nina died of other causes (not the swollen feet). I never knew what caused Nina's pododermatitis. I do not think heart meds are a cure-all for pododermatitis. Might be something else going on.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:18 pm

As a PS to my response earlier today...the exotics vet that you mentioned does look to be fairly experienced with rabbits and other small animals:
http://abevc.com.au/

Also:
http://findonvet.com.au/Home.aspx

https://www.adelaide.edu.au/vet/small-a ... ic-animals

https://www.parrotsociety.org.au/Avian-Veterinarians

Don't know if this is helpful, but just thought I'd post the few things that I found.