Persistent Ear Infection

tms8

Post   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:52 pm

Thanks so much for the help sef. The vet got back to me today, apparently the culture results show he has evidence of a UTI. She said the current antibiotic he's on should be effective (weird since he was on it two weeks prior to surgery). Honestly, I'm more concerned about his teeth grinding/jaw pain and his back foot. One of his nails seemed bruised/necrosis and he has a fluid-filled blister. Evidently, he's not putting much weight on that foot. I'm pretty sure they shaved it during surgery and he's been picking at it. He does seem to be in much less pain when pooping/peeing so I'll take the small win.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:28 pm

What's he on? SMZ?

Teeth grinding can be an indication of pain anywhere in the body, not necessarily the jaw or teeth. Did you ask your vet about bumping up the pain meds a bit?

The foot issue sounds a little concerning. Any chance you could post a picture of it here? I'd definitely want to have that looked at, if it seems infected. When do you go back to get the sutures taken out?

tms8

Post   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:41 pm

Yes, he's on SMZ. I'll ask about bumping up the pain medication on Wednesday when I go. I thought teeth grinding could just be general pain (maybe even in response to his foot), but I know the vet said he had slight malocclusion based on the CT-scan and the underside of his mouth/neck is also sore to the touch. I just emailed the resident vet about all this so they're ready Wednesday when he goes. I'll try to post a picture of his foot next time he's being handled (I've seen plenty of pictures of bumblefoot, but thats not what it looks like). I think the leg itself is fine, he's still scratching with it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Poor guy! He has a lot going on. Good luck at the vet on Wednesday. I hope the antibiotic clears up the UTI. Any idea what caused the foot issue?

tms8

Post   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:53 pm

Honestly, they shaved his back legs during the surgery and I think he's annoyed. He keeps biting at them. He may have split his own nail off. It seems lose and like it bled out internally. Then the bottom just seems like its fluid-filled. It looks like a human blister. I thought about putting some coconut oil or something on it, but opted against it. The foot isn't swollen/warm/pus so I'm really not sure what the treatment would be besides waiting or possibly removing the nail.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:59 pm

If you have a nice clear crisp photo, I would be happy to post it for you:

If there is soreness/tenderness on the underside of his mouth/neck, there may be an infection present.

tms8

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:55 pm

Hey guys thanks for the help. Sorry I didn't get around to taking a picture of his foot. He went to the vet today and it's a mild case of bumblefoot (worst on his left hind leg, probably due to his lack of movement post-op). He's already on an antibiotic so I'm just doing the Epsom salt soaks with a betadine rinse after. On the whole Golgi is doing much better earwise and GI-wise. His ear is not completely cleared, but it is much better. I'm holding off on any procedures for now because he really just needs time to recover. His pain sounds during handling are really just sounds of annoyance according to the vet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:49 pm

Do you agree with the vet? You know your guinea pig so if you feel they are pain sounds, you still might be right. Especially if the sounds are not normal.

I take it you have read the warnings about the Epson salt soaks? (very dangerous for eyes) They should help though.

Hoping things improve for Golgi!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed that the foot heals up and he starts to improve overall. If you haven't read the GL page on bumblefoot, it might have some additional helpful info:
https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

tms8

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:28 am

Thanks for the help. Yeah I believe the sounds are more annoyance mixed with pain. Not the high-pitched pain he had with stones though. I did read the page about bumblefoot before treating it was very helpful. The only thing it didn't mention was the time? I soaked for five minutes is that long enough? I held him in place the whole time, but I can't control if he scratches at his eye with his foot later on unfortunately...

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:19 am

You might do a forum search for "Epsom" with user name "Talishan." Talishan has posted extensively over the years on the use of Epsom salts for foot soaks, as well as chlorhexidine.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:19 am

What you do after the soak is perhaps continue to hold him for a bit then rinse off the Epsom salts so they can do no harm.