Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:24 am

And just to add, almost nobody or no animal gets by with only one heart med. Every one I know, including me, is on at least two, and sometimes three or four. It's a difficult balancing act to find the ones that work and tweak the dosage, and the dosage frequently needs to be tweaked to keep things on an even keel.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:16 am

If you hear a scream it is me kicking myself as I know only too well what it is like to juggle medication.
make sure she continues to drink normally while on it.
Joy drinks no water.
Zantac (or any antacid in my experience) can slow the GI. In herbivores this can cause problems; again it's a balancing act.
Jan had x-rays on her abdomen back in 2017-2016 and I am using this as an example her tummy was 20% wind 80%. Carol said I am sorry she won't make Christmas(this was November). Jan lived for another 12-24 months.She sent copy of X-rays to Dr Vella who suggested the Zantac. Because joy was/is Jan's sister Joy was just put on it when after eating her tummy would become rock hard. I have tried many times to lower dose or cut out the Zantac. Everytime both would stop eating and pooping.

Meloxicam should have read point 0.3mls, cat version 0.5 strength. She is on this for as like Jan her sister Joy is biting her toes like they are really itchy.

I have decided to cut out the Baytril as Carol said she thought Joy had lung infection it has been 8 weeks now no improvement. If all goes well will try and cut out or lower dose of Meloxicam. I plan to ring new vet tomorrow. When I get the compound med I will start that first and see how she goes on that.
Thanks for replies and much needed advice, sef1268,bpatters, Talishan and Lynx. Just proves no matter how long you have these critters you are always learning.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:00 am

New vet has now refused to see Joy saying she is way over her head. So now back to square one. For now Joy is still not eating but will do so if fed by hand. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks every one.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:28 am

New vet refuses to see Joy, says too hard. Referral place also refuses so again got NO vet. Won't give up! Joy not eating only if hand feed her the leaves. keep you posted. slowly losing weight-5-20grams a day.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:31 pm

Joy drinks no water.
How is that possible?

How long was she on the Flusapex? In looking back at what you wrote, 0.8ml's seems like a fairly high dose to me (based on Furosemide range for rodents of 1-5mg/kg at a strength of 10mg/ml). If Joy wasn't kept adequately hydrated, the diuretic could have caused dehydration and/or messed with her electrolyte balance and she lost her appetite. If that's the case, unflavored Pedialyte might be useful. Symptoms of dehydration can include dry, crusty and sunken eyes; reduced appetite; dark urine; small and/or hard poops.

The only other advice I can give at this point, is to suggest that you do the best you can with the resources you have, and accept the fact that there may not be any clear/easy answers to what's going on with Joy or how to fix it (assuming any of it is fixable). She's a 6 1/2 year old guinea pig who has been shuttled from vet to vet with the repeated stress of travel, diagnostics and medications. I know you want answers and solutions, as we all do when our pets are ill, but sometimes there are limits to what we or our vet can do. Unfortunately, this is sometimes the reality of pet ownership.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:27 am

Joy bad health wise so went onto the med, stopped eating, lost weight. 3 days later she has picked up, gaining weight eating etc. Feeling all happy. Went to vet- fluid in lungs and heart irregular beat. Just can't win. Keep you posted.

Joy drinks no water.
All our girls have water bottles but none drink from them. I presume they get fluid from their food especially cucumber, rockmelon etc.

How long was she on the Flusapex?
Two days-4 doses. Have lowered dose to 0.2mls and will see how she tolerates it. 0.8mls was suggested by exotic vet. Her weight is 780-830grams.
Thanks for the reply sef1268.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:44 am

Forgot to mention for last year or two she is being hand fed Critical Care so thinking maybe that is enough water?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:31 am

The second drug will be ready tomorrow. It has been compounded into liquid form. It is for BP and kidneys. She gets 1ml a day which is suppose to equal 2mg. Will know more tomorrow. Keep you posted. Back on other medication, affecting appetite a little.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:49 am

How long being on Benazepril before I see any improvement if any? Joy is on 0.2mg once a day and have seen no improvement after 6 doses. I don't want to up the dose incase she stops eating. Any advise welcome as this is all new to me. Thanks in advance! She goes to vet next week for review.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:44 pm

What symptom was the heart med supposed to address? The rapid breathing?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:25 am

What symptom was the heart med supposed to address? The rapid breathing?

Yes and the irregular heart beat.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:01 am

Just got back from the vet as Joy has been on heart meds and shown no improvement after 2 weeks. Benazepril 1ml equals 2mg/ml once a day Flusapex 0.2mls twice a day If higher she stops eating. Poops have become mushy even though on Protexin.
So vet said to cut out the Benazepril and try Doxycycline incase not heart but infection.Joy was normal March 2019 but in April 2019 she got teeth filed(gas only) and got put in with Jay.
She is NO longer with Jay but she can still see her, Jaffa and Jill but it is like she is scared of them and would rather be with us as if we were guinea pigs.
The vet as usual had no idea but did say Joy's heart was beating so fast she couldn't get a reading.
Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance for any replies. If this doesn't work she wants to do bloods which we refuse to do!!!!!