How do you know if your guinea pig needs a new companion?

tootired

Post   » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi,
I'm new here. I used to have three guinea pigs, but one recently died of old age. My two remaining guinea pigs are separate. One is a bully; I've tried introducing them before, but it's never had good results. As a matter of fact, the bully has broken out of his cage just to harass the other, so there's no chance that they'll be bonding.
My other guinea pig, Molasses, is 6 years old. He's fairly healthy. He and my late guinea pig lived together their whole lives. At first, after his brother died, he was subdued. Now he's back to his normal self. Timid but sweet. The only real difference is that he stays out longer at floor time. But I'm wondering if I should get him a new companion. I know that guinea pigs are happiest in pairs. But I'm also concerned that, since he spent his whole life with Coconut (my old guinea pig), a new companion wouldn't be ideal for him. He wouldn't hurt the new guinea pig; he's too docile for that. But it's always possible that he just wouldn't like the new situation. However, I also don't want him to be lonely. I don't know how he'd be with other guinea pigs, but he very clearly loved living with Coconut.

Do you think that I should try to find him a new companion and, if so, how long should I wait?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:54 pm

Glad to hear he has bounced back some from the loss of his companion. I imagine he would enjoy company - it can be a challenge to find just the right companion. Sometimes a young guinea pig can make a good friend. If there is a nearby rescue, you may be able to bring your guinea pig to meet various candidates.

Since another guinea pig can be heard and seen, he should not currently be as lonely as it would be if he was the only guinea pig in the house.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:29 pm

This may help answer some questions for you and Molasses. https://www.guinealynx.info/alone.html

We were in same boat when Jan left us last year. At the time her and her sister Joy were nearly six. We gave her time to mourn, whilst we tried to do the same. Then after Christmas we started putting out feelers, in mean time we gave Joy loads of cuddles and love. Made sure she could see and smell other piggies.

We weighed her weekly and watched her closely. We even put a stuffed animal in her pen. Then in February we got Jay who was 4 weeks old. Two weeks quarantine and we started introductions.

At first Joy attacked Jay but we persisted until all went well or that's what we thought. Jay got hormonal and terrorised Joy to the point we had to separate them again. Then we found out Joy was blind, so now she lives alone but can smell 3 other piggies. She gets loads of cuddles and love!Weighed and watched closely!

Molasses is six, a young piggy may terrorise him when hormones kick in. And being six, at some point the new piggy will be alone. I would suggest either a stuff toy or see if a rescue has a piggy around the same age, hopefully at six hormones have gone out the window.

Put his cage in a high traffic area, talk to him as much as possible. Loads of love, cuddles, weigh regularly, and watch him closely. You will know if he is unhappy or lonely.

RIP Wee Coconut. Run free and popcorn in paradise. Forever young and perfect health. You were loved and will be sadly missed. Sending big hugs to you and Molasses.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:18 pm

We had paired females and lost one when I was a kid. The remaining piggie, Chico lived for several years without a partner after Charmaine passed away. She got plenty of love and attention which was enough to keep her happy until old age eventually took her from us. A young pig may be more of a nuisance to a senior. If you feel the need to get him a companion, the best thing would be to find a rescue piggie as close in age as possible as was suggested.

Keep in mind that pairing boars can be tricky and you could wind up with another single piggie. My two paired boys are brothers and have been together since birth and they still have their arguments. It's never anything serious and usually ends as quickly as it starts. They are still pretty young at just about a year old. A senior is more susceptible to injury from fighting and may have a tougher time overcoming it. Another guinea pig in a separate and close by cage might be enough too. It is for my two unpaired boars.

tootired

Post   » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:25 pm

Thank you all!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:01 am

Just wondering how Molasses is going? Hoping you are coping well too! Thinking of you!

JaneDoe

Post   » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:18 am

Pepino died on October 20th. Pellegrino, who had known no other mate since 2016, became a lot quieter and spent more time in the pigloo. Now that we have a new baby he is talking more and venturing out of the pigloo more.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 am

So glad Pellegrino is feeling better. Not sure on males but watch out for those hormones! When we lost Jan we got Jay as a friend for Jan's sister Joy. Joy and Jan had been together for nearly 6 years.

Intro's went well till Jay started to get hormones and Jay wouldn't leave any one alone, NOT even us! Then we found out Joy was blind so she is now alone but can smell Jaffa, Jill and Jay with out being harassed by whipper snappers!

Am hoping things continue to go well. Picture of bubs please! Still sending hugs your way and kisses for Pellegrino!