Jan's Toothy Smile medical thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:49 pm

Additionally important to keep her well-hydrated since you're using an NSAID.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:18 pm

I have showed her GL many times-heart page, and Jan/Joy's thread. Joy has fluid in her whole abdomen, crackling in lungs. She felt given fluid under the skin too dangerous with Joy's rapid breathing that it may stress her out.

Joy gets fed Critical Care ever 4 hours and it is watery, plus she is given water via syringe. Will try this first and see how we go. Thanks Sef and Pinta, keep you posted. So far no change, weight keeps going up. Scared Joy will explode with all the fluid she is retaining. It's around 30-50grams each day.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:20 am

Have just put cream on Joy's feet and noticed on front paw underside is a purple colour. How can I fix this? Also upping Flusapex for 24 hours had no affect. I plan to discuss with vet if we can do it longer and for sub Q's. How long for the upped dose? Want as much information as I can get before I speak with her. I showed her Pinta's post, heart page, still not convinced.

It seems here guinea pigs don't have heart problems and if they do vets turn a blind eye. Thanking replies in advance. Thankfully weather is cooler for now!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:56 pm

Purple colored extremities can point to a circulatory/heart/arterial issue, but in this case it's hard to say without seeing it.

pinta

Post   » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:36 pm

Oxygen is always helpful when there are circulation problems. I know my vet would have given the top dose of lasix vuia injection and would have requested her to come in the next day. I have had heart pigs get the top Lasix dose 2 or 3 days in a row. I have also given a kidney pig big daily doses of lasix along with twice daily subcues. If there is fluid in the lungs you need to throw everything you have at it. The benefits of Lasix oute weigh any risks in this situation.

There is no guarantee it is the answer. Like my vet always said "they're going to die from something". It's your job to make sure they aren't suffering and have quality of life. If her lungs being full of fluid are killing her you have nothing to lose by giving a big dose of lasix. Chances are her heart will give out way before any other organs will have a chance to be permanently affected by the lasix.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:40 am

Joy got an injection of Frusemide, fluid under skin. Just weighed her and she has lost nearly 100grams. How many more if any injections should she get? Thanking in advance.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:45 am

I can't answer your question but notice furosemide can also be given orally:
https://www.marvistavet.com/furosemide.pml

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:11 pm

I can't answer your question but notice Furosemide can also be given orally:

Vet wanted to skip the medicine going through the stomach and upsetting it as has all other medication. Thanks for the reply Lynx.

pinta

Post   » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:20 pm

Depends on the fluid in her lungs. At this point it is usually Lasix as needed.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:29 am

I think she said dose was 5mg/ml of Frusemide yesterday with 2.5mg/ml today. Feet and ear still purple in colour.
She wants us to go from 0.3mg/mls twice a day to 0.4 3 times a day. But last time we did this it played havoc on her and her tummy and caused the scary episode.

So what we are going to do is go from 0.3mg/mls twice a day to 0.4mls twice a day for 1-2 days, then 0.3mg/mls three times a day for 2-4 days then 0.4mg/mls and see how she tolerates it.

Vet did say we would need to fiddle with it so that is what we are going to do. Thanks for reply and email Pinta. Will keep you posted!`

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:49 am

I am unable to use any needles not even sewing needles! I have a great fear of them and due to medication I have no control over my hands as they just shake out of control.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:05 pm

So what we are going to do is go from 0.3mg/mls twice a day to 0.4mls twice a day for 1-2 days, then 0.3mg/mls three times a day for 2-4 days then 0.4mg/mls and see how she tolerates it.
When you say 0.3mg/ml (which is 0.3 milligrams per milliliter), do you maybe mean that you are giving her 0.3 milligrams per kg? (that is, 0.3 mg/kg, milligrams of the drug per kilogram of weight---generally how med doses are calculated). Or, are you just filling up the syringe to the 0.3 line?