My Moose has mites

joolzy

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:32 pm

Hi all! My 4 yr old male guinea pig, Moose, has been scratching more and acting uncomfortable the past few days. I brought him to the vet today and she felt it was likely mites. She recommended ivermectin and told me he would need an injection 3x (one today and then 21 days btwn the rest). The total treatment is going to be $75. I was surprised by the cost and asked if there was a topical, cheaper option to which she said no. I let her give him the injection because well, I didn't have time to research it more right.

I know I've read that some here use topical for your GPs. I'm wondering if I can switch to topical, the best way to get it and also how to apply it since he already got an injection. Or do I just stick with the injections? I have seen Beaphar Spot-on when I've googled. Is that ok to use?

We have two other adult GPs and, were surprised with 4 babies last week from the "boy" we adopted. Do they all need treatment? The babies and mom are in a totally separate cage. The two males are in a shared cage with a c&c wall separating them. Thanks for your help!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:24 pm

You can treat mites yourself. First, do read all of the GL information on mites and Ivermectin:
https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html
https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html

Although Ivermectin has a long-standing safety and efficacy record when used correctly, it's important to use the correct product and to dose based on weight. We recommend dosing at least three times, 7 days apart. More stubborn cases often require another round.

Next, if you have a farm & feed store in your area, you can go there and look for Ivermectin -- either the injectible (which you will use topically not via injection) or the pour-on formula. Either will work, but you will need to make sure that this is just Ivermectin with no other anti-parasitic ingredients. If you can't find it locally, you can order it online:

Ivermectin 0.5% Pour-On
Ivermectin 1.0% Injectible (to be used topically)

Here is general dosing information to read first:
https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_topical.html

Here are the dosing charts, based on the weight of the guinea pig being treated:
0.5% Pour-On Formula
1.0% Injectible Formula

You will need accurate scales to weigh your guinea pig(s). In addition, you will need a 1cc syringe to dose the pour-on formula. For the injectible formula, you will also need a syringe with a needle to draw up the correct amount, as the top of the bottle is similar to an insulin bottle and requires a needle to draw it up.

The correct dose will not be more than a drop or two, but it's important to measure and dose precisely. If you are unsure or need us to double-check the dose, feel free to ask.

I would treat both males, if they are living together.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:58 pm

I believe the Beaphar Spot-on product is mostly sold in the UK and Europe - not very strong.

joolzy

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:35 pm

So if he's already had an injection today, do I wait to start the topical on him? How long?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:35 pm

7 days.

joolzy

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:38 pm

Sef wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:35 pm7 days.
Thank you!!

joolzy

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:39 pm

Lynx wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:58 pm I believe the Beaphar Spot-on product is mostly sold in the UK and Europe - not very strong.
I was considering it bc the doses are pre measured but if it's not strong enough, I'll go the other route. I have a scale so it's no big deal. Thank you!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:57 pm

We've had a ton of people who have posted on here about the failure of Beaphar Spot-On. I'd definitely use something else.

joolzy

Post   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:59 am

[Edit - Lynx - removing Sef's quoted post]

Thank you also for the links. I did read them before posting but was unsure how to proceed since my vet said topical wasn't a possibility and the fact he got one injection today. Thanks for your feedback!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:13 am

Please refrain from quoting a whole post when you can just refer to it without quoting it by simply mentioning the poster.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:24 am

You mentioned treating babies, babies below a certain weight cannot be treated! (I think it somewhere around 340grams?)

Last I checked Beaphar spot on contains 0,15mg ivermectin in one dose. The recommended amount of topical ivermectin is 0,5mg per kg that the guinea pig weighs.
But Beaphar does not recommend the 0,5mg, if I remember correctly it says to give a pig upto 500grams one dose, and a heavier pig 2 doses. And to repeat after a month. Following these directions treatment would most likely fail.

If dosed according to this site Beaphar spot on can be used, but it makes for very wet adult guinea pigs.

I’ve had trouble finding ivermectin, and eventually found one marketed for birds. It was a 0,12% solution, so my piggies were still pretty wet from it, but it was easy to draw up the correct amount with a 1cc syringe.

joolzy

Post   » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:29 pm

Sorry I quoted the whole post! New here and trying hard to follow the rules. Thank you, SardonicSmile for your input!!