URGENT-CA-PHS Shelter (Bay Area)

pigpal

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:39 pm

Nice? NICE? What an insult!

I´ll have you know she works really hard at being rude and offensive. . . . to the thoughtless, callous types who breed their pigs and then just want to be rid of them.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:25 pm

Well, like I said, I didn´t want to ruin her reputation! Calling T "nice" is an understatement to say the least!

rosieandco

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:09 pm

Dang I wished I lived near a rescue. Not that there seems to be any in Australia. I do have a local RSPCA nearby. Ya think I should ring and ask if they ever get Guinea Pigs dumped there??

Teresa

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:10 pm

I understand they do.

There is a rescue in Victoria.

rosieandco

Post   » Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:12 pm

I live in Queensland a looong way away from Victoria. Hmm once I get my cage expanded I´ll ring them. Heh I convinced my mum that one or two more pigs ould be ok.

Alfie

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:01 am

Rosie, the RSPCAs do get pigs, but they are generally not advertised in the papers like dogs and cats are. Sadly, I strongly suspect that some shelters euthanise on arrival, so it would be worthwhile letting them know you´re "looking" to get in beforehand.

I did see one pig in the "RSPCA Pet of the Week" section of the Sunday papers, one time. I was impressed with the requirements they listed (site visit, minimum cage size etc).

Jin

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:40 pm

For those that haven´t read the CG thread, I am taking the 6 pigs, plus some of the Monterey pigs. So far I *think* the total of pigs coming to Colorado is 26. (I keep losing count, though.)

The plan so far is to have Briana bring them as far as Wendover, Utah, where I would meet her and bring them home. For some reason I had intended on using my Jeep Wrangler thinking that would be enough room, but I don´t think it will be any more.

I decided it was time to tell my S/O what I´m up to. (I wasn´t going to mention it until after the fact.... when it was too late for him to say no! HA!) He is going to be out of town on the 5th and 6th, and said I can use his Grand Cherokee. So that solves that problem.

Unfortunately, he is NOT thrilled with the plan. He would be much more receptive if I didn´t have to drive as far (he is very over-protective of me, not to mention his Grand Cherokee, and understandably doesn´t like the thought of me alone on the road for upwards of 16 hours).

So once again, I am begging, imploring, pleading, and down on my knees praying for SOMEONE to please step up to the plate and cut this drive in half for both Briana and me. PLEASE!! There´s got to be someone that can help!

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:58 pm

So, where is Briana and what places will she go through on her way? I think it might help if people had a better idea.

Jin

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:19 pm

Briana (from what I understand) is leaving San Fransisco, and driving as far as Wendover Utah, via I-80. I will be leaving New Castle, CO and meeting her in Wendover.

If someone could meet Briana somewhere in between SF and Wendover, and bring them further East and meet me, it would certainly help a great deal. Even getting them as far East as Salt Lake City cuts about 3 1/2 hours of driving time for me. (244 miles!) Every little bit helps both of us.

As I understand it, this will be on the 5th (and possibly the 6th) of July.

pigpal

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:07 pm

Since I´m in SF too I can´t really help ease the driving burden for Briana, but I will be doing a second piggy train in a couple of weeks, heading north through Oregon and Washington to British Columbia. We still need more offers of homes along this route, even a couple of pigs here and there would help!

Thank you SO much Jin for taking so many of the pigs and Briana for volunteering to drive. I went in to evaluate the Mom and 5 babies at PHS yesterday. The babies are ADORABLE, little fluffballs, mostly roan/white Abby types, one Texel type coat (all females) and a gorgeous red male, who has longer hair. The lethal white is also a female Abby, she has just one upper incisor, no lower incisors and appears to be blind although the eyes are a normal size. I was surprised to see her eating pellets without too much difficulty, but she will undoubtedly have more problems as time goes on. They´re just little ´uns 8-9 oz each one.

Incidentally, there are now even more pigs that came in to PHS in the last couple of days, including a very handsome young male TSW Peruvian.

Many thanks again to Jin and Briana (and everyone else who is helping out).

briana d

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:57 pm

Okay lets see, this is what I´m thinking my route will be. Leave Monterey, CA then stop by T´s and pick up the 6 PHS piggies. From there I will be getting in I-80 thw whole way. In Nevada I´ll be passing close by Carson City, Reno, Winnemucca, Battle Mountain and Elko which leads me to Wendover, Utah. It´s still in the planning process.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 5:34 pm

You guys are awesome!!! I am in awe. Lucky piggers!!