RANT - Neglected pigs with scurvy returned to our rescue.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:26 pm

Heh heh... I am a big wimp, actually. "Weakling" was what my afterschool gymnastics instructor called me (oh so many years ago).

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:27 pm

Goodness. I hope you never have to do a subcue on a jumping nervous wreck of a horribly underweight pig, then.

It almost sends me into the bathroom with the heaves when I do it. I sweat and shake and stuff.

But, I figure, if I wanna do vet school, this is good experience.

I wonder if rescuing guinea pigs would could towards the "experience" I have to have to get in to vet school? Or does experience only count if you are a vet tech?

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:31 pm

I'm just physically weak, from a Marines point of view. I don't want to have to do a subcue, but I can handle it from a mental point of view. Remember, I've had two unmedicated childbirths and washed cloth diapers for about 5 years!

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:34 pm

Well, I've had a few kidney stones, and changed a lot of disposable diapers. I dunno if that counts for much, but neener neener.

Wheek Times 3

Post   » Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:41 pm

Para, I'm so sorry for you and the piggies. Thank God you went and got them. It broke my heart to read this. There's just no excuse for doing something like that!

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:05 pm

Para, I am sure you win the pain prize. The kidney stones sounded way worse than my labor.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:13 pm

I'm so sorry. These people are heartless. Yes, I was figuring scurvy too. I'll move the thread.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:24 pm

I think you win the diaper prize, though, for sure. I remember a thread on here somewhere that we talked about cloth vs. disposable. I got about as far as, "Rinse it off in the toilet.." and then decided I didn't ever want to use cloth diapers.

Thanks for moving the thread, Lynx. The girls all seem a world better than they did last night, and it's only been about 18 hours.

glade
Even Republicans Give!

Post   » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:49 pm

Its amaizing what a little love and care can accomplish.
Thanks for being there for them, Para.

betsa

Post   » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:51 pm

Para,
Know that I am here and if you need me to take over, I will do what I can but I am going out of town on Sunday and will not be back until the 2nd.

onmiwei

Post   » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:18 pm

Why do people do those types of things to such cute, helpless creatures? makes me sick...

I have a lot of respect for people who rescue pigs. I had never heard of them until I found this board...

This is what I am afraid will happen to the baby pigs my gp had in Nov. I have several people wanting them but I am nervous about finding the right person. Or they want one when I would rather have them go as a bondedset. I thought I had a good home for them to go to. A 16 year old girl I was going to help make a C&C cage, help her with the food chart on here, ect....She loves animals and I trust her with the life of my daughter...She is great..Her mom said yes and was happy then went mental (lost her mind sort of) and says no...

I am glad I can keep my boys until I can find a suitalbe home...My fear is to find out they have ended up in a situation like the one you found those pigs in.

melcvt00

Post   » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:38 pm

It's amazing what a bit of fluids does, isn't it?

At any rate, I'd go 75-100mg of Vitamin C per pig, per day for a while.

And as for those fluids, be careful. You don't want to overload them. If you have access to a stethoscope, listen to their lungs, and make sure they're not getting crackly. Make sure they're peeing, too.

And for the Meloxicam, go get the spreadsheet I did in the Reference forum. That will help you to change their doses as their weight goes up.