Guinea Pig Vets Near El Paso, TX

Leia417

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:17 pm

Does anyone here know of any vets that actually know how to care for guinea pigs near El Paso? I've been looking since I moved there over a year ago and have had zero luck. I called around and found one vet who would see them. I brought mine in for a wellness check just to get them established. She wanted to anesthetize my 9-year-old and float her teeth. My vet back in my hometown and I were horrified by the suggestion. The nearest place with a vet I trust is Albuquerque, which is over 3 hours away and not helpful in an emergency.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:11 pm

This sounds like a real challenge!

I see that this veterinary hospital is in El Paso:
https://pnhvet.com/exotic-veterinary-ca ... l-paso-tx/

Have you contacted them to see which vets there treat guinea pigs? Maybe one could recommend an exotic veterinary clinic?

Fortunately, you are experienced enough to recognize an unknowledgeable vet when you see one.

In my limited experience, emergency services can be hit or miss because the vet present may not have experience with guinea pigs.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:43 pm

Paws and Hooves has a vet working on exotic certification, and he's also been a zoo vet.

Dr. Reyes at TLC Animal Hospital has an interest in exotics. That's not as good as certification, but much better than a regular small animal vet.

East El Paso Animal Hospital says they treat exotics, but they don't have any bios for their vets, so I can't tell whether they've currently got an exotic vet on staff.

Good luck!