Abbysinians

UP Lisa

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:38 pm

Lynx,

I´m not sure I appreciate your advice. You´re right. You are reading things between the lines. I know exactly what Guinea Pigs are like, having had many in the past. I loved them then, and I love them now. But they were all short haired. I have also had, and taken good care of, many other animals, including dogs and cats, so I know what they are like, also. Just this morning I spent about 2 hours grooming my Rough Collie. I don´t believe that just because I don´t wish to have any more animals that require a lot of grooming right now, that I shouldn´t have any. I also have three small children to take care of, plus a job. And I do realize that this is a long-term commitment. I have had one of my dogs for ten years, now. I had another dog for eleven years. But I don´t think I really owe you this explanation.

As far as my questions are concerned, I simply want to take the best care of the ones I get. It´s been a long time since I´ve had them, and much of the info. has changed. The advice given 20 years ago was very different.

Lisa

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:56 pm

An abby won´t add to your grooming routine any more than a regular short hair. Just get an adult so you know what the final coat looks like (no "abbyruvians" for you).

Don´t worry about Lynx. She means well. Her psychic powers might be off today. But it´s very good advice for someone who isn´t used to pigs and is wondering what they got into. I think all beginner/prospective slaves should keep that in mind.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:10 pm

If you talked to people who worked at rescues, you would find many many people who really didn´t know what to expect -- including people who express great enthusiasm, adopt, and then want out.

You´ve never mentioned ever having guinea pigs before. I stick with my advice that guinea pigs are not for everybody. But if you have had them, you are a step ahead and should have some idea of what you are getting into.
Last edited by Lynx on Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UP Lisa

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:11 am

Lynx,

I am aware that people get animals all the time when they shouldn´t. I always knew there were so many unwanted dogs and cats in the world, but I didn´t really realize there were so many Guinea Pigs. I´ve lived up here for 15 years, and I´ve hardly seen one. There are none to give away or sell in the paper, none on the bulletin boards, and our animal shelter does not have any. This is why I started looking elsewhere.

I am only planning to get two right now, since I know I don´t have room for more. I will not be producing any babies. I understand wanting to breed them, since the babies are so cute, and it´s so interesting to see what colors you get, etc. When I had them as a teenager, I did have a few litters, since I didn´t know better. At least I did find homes for them or keep them myself.

I guess I didn´t mention ever having them before. I have been away from them for a long time, busy doing other things. But now I feel ready for them again.

Lisa

Jensway

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:31 pm

Thank you--Ravenshade and Stickyfroggi for your links to the pictures. As best I can tell (just a novice at all this) I have one Abyssinian and one American Crest with a little diferent color.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:40 pm

There are also English Cresteds which are all one color.

You going to show us pics? ;)

pigpal

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:25 pm

LOL - Compared to a Rough Collie any kind of guinea pig is easy-care, when it comes to grooming at least!

UPLisa - When you said you just spent two hours grooming your dog I know you weren´t exaggerating one bit. I have a Tibetan Terrier with an untrimmed, natural, coat and also spent about two hours last night raking out piles of undercoat!

I have two Peruvian GPs and a baby who looks like he´s going to have an Abyssinian type coat. It takes me about 10 minutes every few days to keep them brushed out. They get a trim once a month, followed by a bath. The trim takes about 15 minutes per pig and the bath about 30 minutes each one (mostly blow drying time).

To keep a long-haired pig in good condition for showing does take a great deal of time and effort, but pet long-hairs are really not much trouble at all. I´d recommend you get whatever type appeals to you most. Good luck choosing!

UP Lisa

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:45 pm

Thank you, Pigpal. I won´t be doing any showing. Even if I wanted to, there are no shows anywhere around here. Yes, dogs can have an amazing amount of hair! Why do I have to love a breed with so much hair? Oh well, can´t help it. And the Smooth Collies just don´t look right to me at all.

Lisa

rosieandco

Post   » Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:09 pm

Ohh Stickifroggi I looked at that site and it looks like my little Padme is a dutch. I think it is probably considered a ´fault´ - that she has a small white spot on her bum. She also has ruby eyes. I think Rosie may have some american crested in her. She is black except for her white bum and her crest is white, except the white also goes over her face. I know she´s just a ´mongrel´ hehe.. Oh that´s her in my avatar see?
Last edited by rosieandco on Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jensway

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:04 am

Ravenshade, I would love to show pictures, but I have no way of putting them on right now. Just have computer and printer, nothing too fancy yet.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:48 am

Then I´ll just take your word on how cute they are.

stickyfroggi

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:25 pm

Yeah I see her, Rosieandco. She´s adorable. Glad the pics on that site helped! Don´t worry about her spot, it is character. Unless of course you had planned on making a show piggie out of her, I am unsure of the rules surrounding that whole scene.