Pigs and Chinchillas??

Foster

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:17 pm

Hey! I´m looking for any information I can find about whether pigs and chinchillas can co-habitate. Anyone have any experience with this?? I know hamsters are a no-no, and bunnies are not a good idea either, but nothing about chinchillas.

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:39 pm

This is only a comment, plz don´t take it too seriously, ChinChillas are UGLY!!! (SORRY)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:46 pm

Chuffey, you are not making ANY friends here. People have all kinds of pets. There´s an expression, "If you don´t have anything nice to say, DON´T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL."

I think you should take it to heart.

Anything I have ever read indicates one should really not mix species at all. The two animals have different dietary needs and different behaviors. Personally, I would not consider putting together chins and pigs.

youngseph

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:23 pm

do not put a chinchila in with the pigs my friend did so 3 time with different animals pigs got sprayed by its "wierd spray stuff" everytime

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:28 pm

That´s the way pigs say, "Get away!" They spray the other animal right in the face.

youngseph

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:31 pm

no the chinchilas sprayed the pigs

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:35 pm

Probably the same meaning!

Megan

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:50 am

As both a chinchilla owner and a guinea pig owner I advise not putting both species together.

Their diet needs are VERY different, chins can have very little veggies, and pigs need alot of them. Chins need a CHINCHILLA pellet, and pigs a GUINEA PIG pellet. Pigs are up during the day, chins are up during the night. Chinchilla´s need a cage that is HIGH , instead of wide and long, and pigs prefer (in most cases) cages that are wide and long. Pigs are laid back, chins are active.

Now, though I would never house them together, my two adult chinchillas have play time with all of my pigs. They will play with each other just like they are another pig/chinchilla. And in the end, when everyone is tired from a good run the chins will cuddle up with hte pigs and give them a groom!

Chinchilla´s do spray, urin as a defence. When they get scared, FEMALES will spray- males have a hard time spraying, and usually won´t.

Chuffeythegp,
Good for you thinking chinchilla´s are ugly. My chinchillas happen to be very cute, like it or not.(ok, i´m stoping here!) . I agree with Lynx, if you don´t have any thing nice to say, dont say it at all. There was actually no need for your comment in this thread, anyway. JMO.

Foster

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:15 am

Thank you all for the great advice. Togetherness at playtime only will will be work just fine. We could feed the veggies away from the chins but it would be impossible to keep them from eating each other pellets. We thought it might be neat to build a huge cube and coroplast cage with lots of floor space for the pigs, and make it 3-4 grids high for lots of chin shelves.

My Chinchillas are VERY cute too!

lisam

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:31 am

The best buddy for a guinea pig would be another guinea pig. Having said that, I will tell you of a pig I have who can´t get along with other pigs at all, but during floor time she gets along fine with my house rabbit.

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:51 am

what do they spray? Urine?

Megan

Post   » Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:22 pm

Chuffey, if you read my post above, you would see what they spray. So there ya go, READ MY POST!!

Foster,
It would actually be hard to keep the chins from eating veggies, because they just steal everything out of the other chins mouths- LOL. Floor time would be your best, just keep in mind that they may not get along. Like Lisam said the best friend for a guinea pig is another pig of the same sex. And the same goes for a chinchilla.