Who wanted a benedryl dose?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:50 pm

This thread talked about giving 5ml to her pig. I don't know the pig's weight but Dr. R is my vet and is knowledgable.

http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5335&start=60

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:02 pm

Whoa! A decimal point before the 5 was never questioned. Now I'm wondering if it should have been .5

Forget I posted unless Mel or someone knows.

Bonnie

Post   » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:01 pm

It was me for my Butterscotch who might have ringworm. I put some neosporin on it and it helped her soooo much. She stopped itching it and it is hardly scaly at all. But I am still interested in knowing the benadryl dose. Will that put them to sleep like it does me?

melcvt00

Post   » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:43 pm

Benadryl does have the potential to make an animal groggy, just like people. And just like people, it doesn't even touch some.

If someone has an exotic formulary on hand....

samtesla

Post   » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:29 pm

I asked my vet and she said to use 1/4th of the infant dose, which would make sense as a piggie is around 2 lb, 1/4 of a (newborn :-) infant. I have not tried it but I would think she means the drops.

ST

samtesla

Post   » Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:44 am

for Benadryl for allergies, the vet said to use the Children's Elixir formula, 2 drops perhaps, which would be about 0.1 cc. I have the 1 cubic centimeter (1cc) syringes (the long very narrow ones) that would be 1/10th of a cc, or fill the 1cc syringe to the 10 mark every 4-6 hours. The vet said that Benadryl is well tolerated and the dise could be increased to .2cc if needed. Is this dosage correct for a 2lb piggie?

ST

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:45 pm

ST, our vet said *exactly* the same thing, almost word for word. We have used this, dosed this way, for our honking pig intermittently for months. We've seen no ill effects and it helps him quite a bit when needed. I've not noticed it make him groggy and watched carefully for that, especially the first couple of doses. I'm not a vet nor vet tech so I can't swear that's a correct dose, but our vet seems to confirm yours.

onmiwei

Post   » Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:37 am

Ok just so I have this perfectly clear...My vet couldn't find info on benadryl for gps...I have a 2 lb gp. If I am understanding this correctly she can have a syringe that goes up to 1cc and one that goes to .5ml I can give her .10 cc every 4-6 hours as needed? oF childrens not infants? I saw one said infants one said Childrens. this could help for what we think is allergies? I have her story or part of it on a different thread....I haven't updated it. I should go do that. Sorry to sound stupid...I just am glad I saw this...

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:49 am

ST and Talishan, can you give a dose in terms of mg/kg and what the active ingredient is (this is the mg part). If you check the reference forum and the Posology topic, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also, can you provide your vet's sources?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:33 pm

Will print this page and take home to look up.

samtesla

Post   » Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:50 pm

OK, I'll try to fill it in as well.

For the vet, I don't know if she has a source per se, it's probably not in the formulary. I'll ask her.

ST

onmiwei

Post   » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:20 pm

I wasn't going to give my gp benadryl UNTIL I talk to my vet. I was just curious about info others had got since my vet couldn't find anything on benadryl for gps. I thought if I brought in some info he could then look into it a little more. He was going to give it to her but couldn't find a dose and didn't want to harm her. SO he said forget about it at the time when he gave her doxycycline...She seems to be ok for right now. I have heard maybe 5 sneezes in the last week from her. My other one rarely sneezes. I am just a little paranoid with Rosey since she seems to be a little more delicate than my other pigs. She is my favorite too ( I know I should love them all equally but it's her sweet little attitude I love)

I will go look up on the refrence section...

SuzisZoo

Post   » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:50 pm

5 ml DEFINITELY cannot be right for a guinea pig...that is the dose my 55 pound 8 year old daughter gets!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:03 pm

Onmiwei, I think you are very wise not to do anything until you confirm with your vet.

I have Children's Benadryl Allergy, Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, Antihistamine liquid medication, alcohol free. Cherry flavored, 4 fl. oz. (118 mL) bottle, NDC 0501-2050-04 (if that is helpful).

Active ingredient Diphenhydramine HCl 12.5 mg per 5 mL.

**Please check my math!! Lynx, if you find an error here please pull this post or edit it.**

12.5/5 = 2.5 mg/mL active ingredient.

Measuring twice using a standard 1cc needleless syringe (Lynx' standard photograph one) I got 2 large drops or 2 1/2 to 3 smaller drops = 0.05 mL (one half of .1, that is, point-one). One cc is the same thing as one mL.

0.05 mL x 2.5 mg/mL = 0.125 mg active ingredient in the "couple drops" instructions ST and I got from the vet. My prescription is for a 1200-1300 gram guinea pig, so let's use 1.25 kg. 0.125 mg/1.25 kg = 0.1 mg/kg active ingredient.

5 mL is one teaspoon, which would be given, according to the package instructions, to a 55 lb. 8-year-old. SuzisZoo, I'm glad you mentioned that because technically, a teaspoon is *not* 5 mL as it says on the package. It's more like 4.75 or 4.85 mL. Not an issue using the correct dosage for a human child, but using amounts this small it might make a difference.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:01 pm

A teaspooon is fairly close to 5cc. Close enough to use (I did some calculations a while back).

If a 55 lb child gets a teaspoon (5cc has 12.5mg diphenhydramine), the human dose is 0.23mg/lb human or 0.5mg/kg for a human. That dose is found in 0.2cc of this solution. So a couple drops probably would be considered underdosing and might not help much.

I'm basing this solely on the information written here (if I didn't make any mistakes....).

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:19 pm

There is a gruesome amount of sugar in this stuff (crystals form around the bottle top) and not surprisingly, our little one loves it. He gets more than .05 cc, probably closer to .1 or .2 (and tries to eat the syringe) when we do give it to him. The prescription amount given to us was not at all precise by any means.

That amount appears to help him, on an intermittent/occasional basis, for about 36-48 hours ... usually enough for the humidity to rise or the weather change enough to close the window.

melcvt00

Post   » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:29 pm

Ever consider having your vet contact a compounding pharmacy (we use Veterinary Pharmacies of America) to formulate the benadryl for you, so that it wouldn't be so sugary?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:42 pm

Now THAT is a **great** idea. I will ask them. They already use a nearby compounder, they have ordered from them for me before. Thank you!

melcvt00

Post   » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:16 pm

Let us know what they say!

samtesla

Post   » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:09 pm

Let me add my info to this:

Children's Benadryl Dye-Free Allergy (Alcohol and Sugar Free) Bubble Gum flavored.

The Active Ingredient is Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride, 12.5 mg per teaspoon (5 mL)

This would make it 12.5 mg / 5 mL = 2.5 mg / mL

The vet's suggested dose for a 2 lb 3 oz piggie (~ 1 kg) was 0.10 cc as a start, or filling the Lynx-spec 1 cc syringe to the 10 mark for 0.10 cc. She had originally said 'a couple drops' but since the drop size is not repeatable easily I asked for cc info.

In this 0.10 mg we have 0.10 mL * 2.5 mg / mL = 0.25 mg active ingredient. For a 1 kg piggie this comes to 0.25 mg / 1.0 kg = 0.25 mg / kg.

Regarding droppers, I used a spare syringe to generate drops. Perhaps a biology / microbiology GL type could provide some information as to what a 'standard drop' is. If I use an infant medication dropper, these generate some pretty hefty drops so I could easily see .1 cc done in 2 large drops. With my syringe size drops I got 3 drops to do 0.1 cc.

The vet also said that Benadryl is well tolerated by piggies and that the dose can be doubled if needed to 0.20cc. This would make it similar to that for children.

Make sure the Benadryl is the alcohol-free variety (alcoholic pigs :-) and also that the Benadryl does not have any other ingredients like acetaminophen or decongestants. I know everyone reads the label, just passing the message along.

ST

22 posts