Limping piggy with diahrea

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2002 10:49 pm

I didn´t see anyone mention the neomycin directly. I would certainly take notice of much of the good advice above, and also discontinue the neomycin. That is a potentially fatal drug for cavies and even hamsters! Often those things marketed in pet stores are not worth your money and a few, like neomycin and cedar shavings, can be toxic.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2002 12:33 am

I´m glad you noticed there was a problem -- all the more reason to have as many eyes on the med forums as possible.

I wonder how her pet is doing and if she went to see a vet.
Last edited by Lynx on Sun Jan 27, 2002 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinta

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2002 5:58 am

I was suspicious of it but noted both my GP med books had dosages for it(one in a table) and so does Squeak´s page(listed for diarrhea).

I was hoping by now the pig was in the hands of a good vet but if there is a problem with Neomycin(like there is for Griseofulvin) then Squeak´s page should be alerted.

It´s never been used on our pigs. For future reference, what exactly is the problem with it?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jan 27, 2002 10:28 am

Neomycin can cause the same problems with bacterial overgrowth as some of the unsafe antibiotics. I also don´t trust terramycin/tetracyclines in general since I have had many animals have reactions to them (way back when I didn´t know better). Tetracycline should be used with caution and only under the strict supervision of a vet when it is warranted (e.g. a culture where it is the only sensitive cavy quasi-safe drug).

Cara

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:06 am

It´s possible the pig is a runt. I have a runt, she´s going to be three in Jan and she weighed .8 lbs last time she was weighed. She´s a tiny, tiny thing, esp. next to her mom and sisters who weigh close to 2 lbs.

Paula

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:03 pm

I am sorry to report that our "Cinnamon" passed away on Saturday. She took her last breath in my hands. I think I cried a river. We tried everything but there was just no saving her. I really can´t talk about this anymore. I am just very sad. I wanted to let you know and thank you for all of your kind advice. I know she must be running free in the grass in heaven now. Rest in peace little one. Paula

Alfie

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:10 pm

I´m sorry to hear about Cinnamon - but do be happy that you could be there with her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:36 pm

I´m so sorry you lost her. It sounds like she was loved.

imanut4u

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:55 pm

Paula - I´m so sorry.

Cara

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:43 am

I´ve very sorry, Paula.