How to take a pig's temp? (non emergency)

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:28 pm

I temp all animals as a policy at the clinic. You put some KY jelly on the outside and stick it in their anus. Usually only takes two person to do it.. one to hold the pig and one to stick it.

Pigs have very small bum holes.

"Let's see what Mel or Josephine have to say -- or someone who's been watching their vet closely. Might be different techniques for males and females (never done it)."

HA! Vets almost never do it. The dirty work is up to the techs to do it. I've seen more butts and butt holes than I'd like.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:33 pm

Bonnie asked, "What should a pig's temp be?"

CP, did you at least send the pigs (edible) flowers afterwards?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:36 pm

Ah. A later question, not the original one.

She's still supposed to post links instead and could have only given the temp and not all the rest of the info.

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:07 am

Yea I know what Bonnie asked.. I was refering to the original question.

wheeky8

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:52 am

Thanks for clarifying for me, salana.

CP- salana's first line in the post was to Lynx about Bonnie's question. Lynx was confused because I had answered Bonnie's question, which she did not notice had been asked. Lynx thought I was answering Brimstone's question.

Everybody on the same page now?

Lynx - Not worried about the edit, it's your forum. Will use links next time. Sorry.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:04 am

It's a matter of copyright, not just me. Do say you don't want me in chains. Please?

wheeky8

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:14 am

No, then I'd have to suffer from GL withdrawal.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:42 pm

Thanks for the replies, and the pig temp info (useful to have handy).

You put some KY jelly on the outside and stick it in their anus. Usually only takes two person to do it.. one to hold the pig and one to stick it.

CP - I just want to make certain I understand: the thermometer goes in the rectum, not just in the sac, right?

I knew about wrapping the pig in a towel, and having somone else hold him. (I've already warned my fiance about that part!) My vet has always taken my pigs' temps, usually with me holding the pig. If there's an extra tech (or a more experienced tech) around, then that person holds the pig, but it's still the Doc doing the poking.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:27 pm

Brimstone, my vet does it exactly like your vet. No towel, but either me or a tech holds the pig, and she gently puts in the thermometer. She's taken temps on my pigs most of the time they go in for checks.