I am afraid I have a pregnant sow!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:29 am

KM... 100 births!? I didn't know you had had that many. You need to be the board's midwife!

I've seen 5 out of 5 births but, as I said on another thread, I was obsessive about it!

WOW! Salem had big pups. Poor girl!

Erin... the before and after pitures of Salem are amazing! Where does all the "extra" pig go!?

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:43 am

no babes yet.

I am taking Skipper to the vet again today to see how his incision site is healing. I am not sure about how it is looking. He is doing well as far as eating, pooping and peeing. So maybe it is not as bad as I think it is. I'll let you know how that went. The appt is at 12:00.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:37 am

I was lucky enough to see my Juliet giving birth to Alice and Maggie. I turned out the light to go to sleep at about 10:00 at night, and within 10-15 minutes I heard her start to make some funny, grunty noises (her cage was right by the bed).

When I turned on the light Romeo was pacing around outside the pigloo, and I knew it was time. I got to see them actually coming out of her and it was amazing!

Good luck with your babies Jeannette, I really hope everything goes well for them.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:42 am

There are a couple clues to the sows being ready to give birth, but you have to be right there to hear it. Each of my sows made a little "wub wub" sound, like talking to their babies before the births. Milkdud was a very quiet pig, so when I heard those sounds, I never moved from the cage. She delivered within minutes, and continued to wub like that to her babies until they were almost weaned.
It's sort of like the sounds pigs make during floor time, when they are exploring, only quieter. And it's not happy talking, squeaking, or wheeking. It's very quiet.

As for the births, I'm no expert. I really tried to pay attention and learn things.

For a while, we thought we had a sure-fire way to tell of imminent birth. All of our pigs would refuse their carrot right before birth. Then we had a pig of my daughters that ate her carrot and delivered within literally minutes. So there went that theory!

I could never count on the spreading pelvis, some didn't move a bit till delivery, and others would go back and forth and back and forth.

The best time frame I came up with is this. If you hold the pigs every day, from the first day you feel little tiny movements, barely little flutters, it's about 3 weeks. From feeling the babies really kick, no doubt about it, about 2 weeks. And there are exceptions to this. With a chocolate sow I had here, she only had one baby, same with my cream sow. So I felt no movement on these pigs until two days before delivery.

SuzisZoo

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:53 am

KM, thank you for mentioning that sound. I noticed that Baby has been making that sound for the past couple of weeks and I had no idea what it was. Now I realize that it started happening right after she gave birth. How cute!

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:10 pm

I have heard that sound too. I always called it "birthing noises." Between mom and the new pups there are lots of little sounds coming out!

I've said it before, I think it is so cute when the moms have one little pup. Maybe because I am an only child?! I just think it's cute.

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:58 pm

I just got back from the vet with Skipper. I was very happy to find out the incision looked good. The stuff that wasn't looking good was actually a waxy substance produced from the anal area. I forgot exactly what the vet said about it. I can clean that if necessary.

The very first time I felt movement was the 2nd of January, but I didn't know that it was something to look for until the 1st. So I don't know if I would have felt it sooner or not. Ginger was 4 or so days later.

SuzisZoo

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:08 pm

Glad Skipper is doing OK. I thought for sure you'd come home from the vet and find some babies.

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:18 pm

I was hoping, but no such luck

SuzisZoo

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:33 pm

Well, can you go somewhere else for a couple of hours? A watched pig never pops.

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:04 pm

Lol!! I was gone I ended up having to take my son to the Dr. to check him for a sinus infection. He has been coughing for about 3 weeks. I have been so wrapped up with the pigs, I have neglected my son. Well at least he has some medicine that will hopefully help him.

Still no babes!

SuzisZoo

Post   » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:44 pm

Poor little guy - hope the meds do the trick and he is done hacking soon.