Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:50 am

Reference thread for Paravati's method:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 221#255221

hammer
Supporter in '10

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:13 am

Tada! Thanks, Para. That's exactly what I was trying to describe (apparently ineffectually). I call it the "baseball head" method. Now I can just refer people here when I try to describe it and fail.

MommyofGus

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:22 am

haha, Gus always winds up with a nice pink mustache as well.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:34 pm

I do it in a similar way. I put the pig on a towel, on the counter, with his butt towards me.. I then lean over him and pin him down with my chest and belly. I use my left hand to grab his face, just like Para showed, and use my right hand to shove in the meds. I do it the same way to handfeed pigs who won't cooperate.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:38 pm

Heh, thanks guys. I posted that sort of trying to be funny but I am glad it helped some of you, and hope it will help others in the future.

We've had some really difficult people (yes, they're people to us, not just pigs) here to try and give meds or handfeed. I discovered the nose pinching thing when we had to flush Rosie's chin abscess all the time. He hated having his abscess flushed and I hated getting gooky smelly abscess gunk all over me. So I came up with that.. Do the pinch, lift that head up, make sure their butt is safely tucked into your elbow so they can't back up, and you can pretty much do anything with the pig.

The pig in the pictures is our Lilo, the Diva Sow. She is so cool she lets you do just about anything - Stick your fingers in her mouth, yank on her lips, whatever. She just looks at you like, "Okay, stupid.. I'll take a carrot whenever you're ready." So she really is a great med taker - But I knew she'd sit still for the photos. :)

samtesla

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:44 pm

When I glanced at Para's pictures for a second I thought the nostrils were the eyes. The piggie takes quite an apocalyptic feline look to it...

We have never had trouble with meds, but this may be because we give the Oxbow vitamin C crushed with cranberry juice, so it is a treat to them. The pigs are used to a syringe and it usually means good news. We even tried feeding Critical Care of even water and they fight over the syringe.

Margi

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:56 pm

I agree about the syringe -- I give liquid C by syringe every day too in the hope that it'll make it easy if I ever have to give meds or CC that way to these guys. Caramel just opens up and takes it wherever she is in the cage. Buddy runs away, but as soon as I pick him up he takes it right away also (weird piggy!). Buddy took a few days to reach that point; Cara took it from the first try onward.

samtesla

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:01 pm

If you have a Fillmore East pig (let's see who gets the reference) that is a biter, make sure the syringe tip does not wear off. Sally has managed to bite off TWO tips so far, and thankfully both times we dropped the broken tip before she could chew it in.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:28 pm

They can smell what's in the syringe, you know. Einstein is the most syringe-loving pig in the universe, and will tug on his food syringe and demand a constant supply of pellet mash, but if you try to give him ivermectin or that chlorhexidine mouthwash he had, he squirms and struggles and tries his very hardest to escape.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:17 am

Yeah, covering the eyes sort of works best because some pigs will try to flee at the very SIGHT of a syringe - no matter what's in it. We have only known one pig here who actually fights when you try to cover her head. I have to give her subcues, meds, whatever with her head and body completely unrestrained or else she just flips out. But most pigs relax as soon as you cover their head and eyes. If not TOTAL relaxation, at least they can't fight what's coming.

MommyofGus

Post   » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:08 am

Well, I tried the Para method last night. It worked for about 10 seconds - but not long enough to get it ALL in.

The little bugger actually wouldn't open his mouth! Normally he throws his head from side to side and screams bloody murder. Last night he sat there and just wouldn't open!

Pinny Gig

Post   » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:37 pm

You didn't let him read this thread, did you?