Critical Care and handfeeding supplements/recipes

lisam

Post   » Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:26 am

I got out my jar of Critical Care, and it only says "natural flavors". Does it mention anis or fennel in the pamphlet?

My pigs have loved Critical Care. But then they love fennel. I cut it into long slices, so each piece has the bulb, stem, and feathery leaves.

I don´t know about the pigs, but my horses like anis. I used it in an herb mix once. It is also used as flavoring in some horse feed and products.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:16 pm

Yes, I apologize, I was indeed reading Oxbow´s brochure for Critical Care which states it has anise in it. It says it is an herbivore attractant.
Last edited by Josephine on Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisam

Post   » Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:19 pm

I feel so silly, I misspelled anise (twice).

pigfan

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:02 am

I am feeding an my little old lady pig, CC daily as a supplement because she goes up and down on her weight, so exotic vet says to try it as she can´t find anything wrong on exam and Ewenice just won´t give up any blood for labs. Anyone have that problem? we have never been able to get blood from her.....
Anyway I use either Odwalla carrot juice or baby food, I alternate creamed spinach, garden veggies, carrots, things like that. Occasionally I add a little plain yogurt. Tried baby pears and she wouldn´t touch it. She loves to eat it right off the spoon or a dish if I put it in the cage, I try to use our cuddle time for her CC as her cage mate is getting fat by eating it too. Only 3 of my 7 will touch it the rest run from it if it is offered. Weird!
What´s this about adding poop? should I being doing that since I am only supplementing her other foods? She is eating her greens and pellets though not her hay. I know because I watch them eat.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:11 am

If her own droppings look strange or she has been on a round of antibiotics recently, it might help. Otherwise, I don´t know that it would make much difference.

I think Josephine mentioned that blood can be gotten by slightly overclipping a nail -- you don´t want to clip too much, just enough that a sample can be drawn.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:48 pm

Pigfan--have her molars been checked under anesthesia?

The poop is a natural mucous-protected probiotic and B vitamin supplement to protect their sensitive GI Tract.

You can easily overclip a toenail and get a couple of blood smears and microhematocrit tubes to do labwork in cavies. I have a lab that does all of my cavy bloodwork. I have compared it to bloodwork taken from cavy veins in the same animals. It is very comparable, although I sometimes have to clip two nails since the blood clots after a few minutes. This way I have developed even lets me cradle the pig myself and collect the blood alone (since many people in the veterinary profession are not great pig holders/restrainers)!

pinta

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:22 am

Damnation, Lynx. I posted to this and it disappeared. This is the second time. I always check to make sure the post went thru and this one did. I can´t save every friggin post permanently. What the hell is going on? How can a post disappear AFTER it is posted?

I posted that my vet gets blood from the jugular vein if she´s lucky and she prefers to get it from there because she can get more for testing.

Am I mistaken? Did I post this elsewhere?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2002 9:16 am

I´m sorry, Pinta. I have no idea what happened. As far as I know, once a post has been added to the MySQL database, it cannot just be randomly removed. There is a specific process to removing the post.

I wish I knew what to tell you. I didn´t know that this could actually happen (if you post and you can see your post, it can only be because it has been written to the database -- there is no way for it to simply disappear).

I´ll inquire, but I´ve never heard of it happening to anyone else.

Sorry.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:05 pm

Have you also tried Naked Juice´s Green Juice? It has many of the same ingredients as Odwalla´s. I mixed my mash with Naked Juice´s carrot juice (no additives) and butternut squash baby food (also pure). My mother swears by pineapple juice and pumpkin added to mash when hand-feeding for G.I. Stasis.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jul 21, 2002 3:09 pm

Where is Naked Juice made?

There is a lot of controversy right now on whether or not pineapple juice is useful since the enzymes it is touted for need to get to the right place. It has fiber, though, and may add to palatability.

Pumpkin is awesome for GIT problems. It is high in fiber and is a good nutritional treatment for diarrhea or constipation. It is being used often in the veterinary field in dogs, cats, cavies, and other species. I have used it off and on as well in my CC mix. Goes over well with the pigs as well.

Edit: Just checked out the Naked Juice website (www.nakedjuice.com, imagine that?)
It looks as if it is another good juice, perhaps with a bit fewer nutrients percentage-wise, but quality ingredients nonetheless. I will check it out sometime. The closest store is only an hour and a half from home!
Last edited by Josephine on Sun Jul 21, 2002 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pigfan

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:54 am

Thanks for the suggestions on getting a blood sample I had wondered about clipping the toenails, we tried the jugular vein but with no success.
We have not checked teeth under anesthesia but extensively with the scope and there does not seem to be a problem. I have had a pig with severe maloclussion and subsequent surgery etc. Ewenice just does not seem to be experiencing the same symptoms at all, though she is now sneezing and snuffling a little tonight guess it is back to the vet tomorrow. I sure hope she is okay, I do worry at her age!
Last edited by pigfan on Tue Jul 23, 2002 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri May 21, 2010 11:08 am

I am currently syringe feeding Jessie on Critical Care and I am adding rainwater and baby food either apple or apple and bananna
what else could I be adding to help Jessie maintain her weight?
She is also getting veggie juice 4-6 times a day from veggies that we put through the juicer once a day.
Any suggestions much appreciated, she is still finding it hard to swallow at times and really opens her mouth and really chews.
I am in Australia and things you have suggested like Naked Juice´s Green Juice and Odwalla´s I have never heard off. Many thanks. Jessie has an abscess on her jaw, whilst under vet had look in her mouth and found swelling and scar tissue.
Vet can not understand why Jessie's mouth is swollen, NO pus and antibiotics she has been on for 5 months.