Josephine... what to supplement with?

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:38 pm

My little pig is not nursing. I had her and mom out and she just doesn´t seem to know what to do. I expressed milk for her to taste and she kind of licked at it but never latched on to the nipple. Sinceshe is so small, down to 50g, I don´t want to give it any more time.

What do I supplement with. Kitten formula?

KarasKavies

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2002 7:51 pm

Is Critical Care ok to give if I make it real thin? Patty is just not nursing very much.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:16 pm

Sure. Just make sure she eats it rather than aspirates it. You can try feeding her corraled in your arms with her feet on a counter. Do it slow and make sure she can take it okay--

oops -- didn´t realize you´re talking about a baby -- I´m not really sure. You are supposed to wait 12 or 24 hours before feeding babies ANYTHING according to Peter Gurney. He claims feeding babies too soon can produce problems. You could go to his site and see what he has to say.

They supposedly could eat regular food when born --

Someone else will have to give you the last word on the Critical Care and babies. Don´t make it too thin. Personally I would give it a try but not yet.

KarasKavies

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:21 pm

OK.

I did searches all over the place. I decided to give her a little canned milk diluted with water. She was hungry! She too several SMALL spoonfuls. Probably .10cc at the most. But she was hungry. I didn´t know what to do. She is not nursing and losing 10g on that little body is a lot!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:29 pm

I like the idea of Critical Care more than the milk. Maybe you could try that watered down in a spoon? Or with some of the fancy things people have used instead to mix with it (and give it lots of flavor etc.)?

KarasKavies

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:50 pm

There is problaby no perfect solution! I´ll try the CC. Anything has to be better than nothing. She has to have some fluids. Thanks for the help!

Patty has so much loose skin, I think it´s hard for the babies to get up under her, let alone find a nipple. The big ones will be fine. She lies down a lot rather than do the "hunch."

pinta

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2002 9:37 pm

Most people I hear use kitten milk replacement formula. I assume you get it at the vets or a petstore.

Offer her the Critrical Care in a spoon. Don´t try to handfeed her - too much of a risk of her getting pneumonia from asiration.

KarasKavies

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:59 pm

I just got the kitten formula. Yeah, she did real well off a spoon! So cute. She was hungry. I´ve never had a pig like CC, so I don´t want to scare her off. Maybe I´ll wait a few days until her sibblings are eating regular food to start the CC. She is strong and healthy. Just doesn´t seem to know how to nurse. I paired her up with my other 2 nursing moms, but she didn´t know what to do with their nipples either!

KarasKavies

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:11 pm

SHE´S EATING A LETTUCE LEAF!!!! Ain´t that too much!? chowing down with mom and one of her brothers! Well, I feel better now. I´m still going to give her the Kitty milk until I see her nursing.

Cara

Post   » Tue Jul 23, 2002 11:38 pm

Zipper did real well on the kitten´s milk, every four hours or so the first day maybe. SHe actually weaned herself off of it. Good luck with the little one and I´m so glad she´s eating solid foods, she´ll be just fine.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:31 am

Ugh! I really do dislike milk for cavy pup feeding. It often causes GI upset and diarrhea. Keep a close eye out if you do use it. Cavies don´t process other animal´s milk well. It´s a good idea to use Critical Care in some sort of slurry if she will eat it. Having her eat fresh veggies and other foods available will be the best. She should do fine that way. Below 60 ounces is small in my opinion. Cavies will lose a bit of weight just like other babies in the first day or two. It is critical to keep them eating, but they soon change that trend and grow like weeds. I´m sure you´ll keep a close eye on her.

(P.S. She does need food but since you´ve seen her eating, I personally wouldn´t supplement with any milk. She needs to be hungry to nurse)!

KarasKavies

Post   » Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:56 pm

Thank you! If I do need to go to a "milk" of some kind, is there anything you would recommend?? She is eating her veggies... to some extent. She is SO cute and sweet. I will try the CC and see if she would be my first ever cavy to like it! The problem is only compounded by the fact that mom is so flabby, the pups can´t see theri way into the nipple. And, she lies on her tummy. She´s not a very good nursing mom. Hopefully that will change!

Do they have to have milk of any kind? If they are eating grain and veggies is that enough??