Broken back, thoughts on dealing with broken bones

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 10:18 pm

Oh Cara, I´m so sorry to hear this! I agree, pain meds are crucial. Is there any way you can have him near the other pigs yet still separate? They may be very gentle with him, or they may not. I´d hate him to reinjure himself. If it is a hairline fracture, I think having him splinted and home will help immensely! My pigs hate being at the vets. They won´t even eat there if they are healthy and just along for company.

So try hard to bring him home. Worse case scenario, at least he will be in familiar surroundings and with those he loves and who love him.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 25, 2002 11:33 pm

Josephine -- if you are reading this -- my vet claimed rimadyl (sp?) causes liver damage in dogs and was reluctant to use it on a guinea pig. He seems to think Snowflake would need no meds after her spay and I wonder what he would be least likely to object to using (if I can persuade him to let me use anything, after calling him).

Cara

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2002 5:06 pm

imanut4u, Willie´s owner was no help at all. I s´pose I shouldn´t post her emails here but I asked how he was initially treated and what the vet did. She´s only said he was on postassium sulfate for seizures and that they waited to see how bad the injury was, no mention of Xrays, or anything being done by the vet other than meds to stop seizures. She kinds goes into a tangent about other pigs and how Willie is impacted, can´t reach his good poops and needs a bath every week. Nothing useful. I can´t help but wonder if he´d have use of his legs if xrays were done and possible treatment given.

Anyway, Happy is home and doing ok. Nothing stellar. This splint thing seems to be working and I have him in his own cage. He´s eating hay and pellets and bits of veggies. I´m still feeding him Critical Care and he readily sucks it up. I´m giving him vit C supplements too. The vet said to watch the splint to make sure it´s not rubbing any sore spots into his body. She said it may rub fur off depending how long he has to wear it but shouldn´t rub raw spots. I´ll have to take pictures to post. He´s quite a sight. I do think the other pigs are helping and the fact that´s he´s home. She did give me pains meds and Reglan to keep things moving thru. I´m feeding him a slurry too. I truly think he´ll be ok, but it´s going to take a while. She wants to see him next week, not sure if she´ll xray again. She thinks it´ll take 6-8 weeks for the fractures to heal.

Thanks for all the info. I´ll keep you posted on how´s he´s doing. He doesn´t move much, I put his pellets and water bottle right there for him and he´s on towels with hay, no bedding.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2002 5:51 pm

That´s great news. I hope you can take pictures and later post them and a summary of the whole episode in the "first hand experience" section of this board. I´M sure it can be of great help to people who go through something similar in the future.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2002 10:59 pm

Aak! So sorry to hear about your pig, Cara. I wish I could help more, but pain meds, steroids, and rest are generally the cure.

Lynx: As for the carprofen (Rimadyl), yes, it can cause liver problems. It is an NSAID and all NSAIDS can cause liver problems. The incidence of reactions in fairly healthy animals is very slim. Even in dogs, we see very few with elevated liver enzymes, and good vets require blood chemistries before and during carprofen treatment. In cavies, it is a use your best judgement decision. I don´t see how it would be contraindicated unless there was a suspect or proven liver or kidney ailment (it can affect many organs). Lack of knowledge does make many vets wary of doing the right things for cavies. All I can say is that there are a few of us in the know who have used it safely for years. I know many formularies that list it for rabbits, but haven´t listed a cavy dose since cavy medicine has not reached house rabbit proportions.

Cara

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:01 am

The vet called me this am to tell me another vet she´s spoken with doesn´t think Happy needs the splint. Since these are fractures and not actual breaks, he said Happy knows it hurts and he´s not going to move around a lot. I left Happy at home with the splint on. He´s done very well this weekend so I thought he´d be ok. I can leave right when work is done today to go home. She thinks now, maybe he´ll just wear it for a week and a half to keep things still and then take it off. He´s eating more veggies so I´m lessening the Critical care, he still gets it, just not as much. I bought a scale and he weighed 3.52 lbs yesterday. He´s lost some but not a lot, thought he could actually stand to lose some more, he´s a fatso.

Also, Patch´s fur is growing back. I threw Lance in with Patch and Streak b/c he seemed so lonely after Sable died. Patch´s skin is covered and it´s getting longer. So that it good. She also let me know what my bill would be for Happy. The wedding favor decision has been made thanks to Happy!!!! 437.85!

pinta

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:06 pm

A 5mW laser light can be used to help promote healing especially for the soft tissue. You can use a 1mW too, but it takes longer(50 seconds per 1 cm spot as opposed to 10 seconds per 1 cm spot.)

The 5mW laser pointers are in the range of $50 Can., and the 1mW ones are about $10 Can.

Hold the laser light directly on the spine where the fracture is(in physical contact) for 10 seconds(50 seconds for a 1mW strength beam). Repeat process every 1 cm. Do not be tempted to leave the light on the skin longer than the time stated for the strength of laser. Lasers can burn and damage tissue if left in contact too long.

Treat with the laser every OTHER day for a total of 20 treatments(40 days). Then take a complete break for a few weeks before the next session (if another session is necessary).

This treatment comes from an animal physical therapist and can be used to relieve pain and promote healing of wounds(place saran wrap film over wound if raw and apply laser beam directly to the protective plastic film). It can also be used for arthritis but it´s best to bring xrays of the joints to the therapist so she/he can show you exactly where to apply the beam for maximum results. And light laser treatment can be used to stimulate hair regrowth. The application and technique is the same for all of the above.

Do not ever use the laser around the eyes or point it at your own eyes or anyone else´s eyes.

Seansfamily

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:08 pm

Well, actually, Happy could provide a substitute wedding favor. Just leave a laminated poop (a la Lynx) at everyone´s place at the table. You should be able to order child-sized portions of food for everyone and still have more than enough food to go around after you ruin everyone´s appetite. With what you will save on food, you´ll more than make up the $400!!!!

Peter

Post   » Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:39 pm

I think you goofed again.

Edit: Change it before E catches you!
Last edited by Peter on Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seansfamily

Post   » Wed Jan 30, 2002 9:11 am

Thanks for looking out for me, Peter.

I´ll take my chances though ´cause I love to promote new and different ways to use guinea pig poo. Plus it keeps me on Lynx´s good side and she´s a good one to have on your side when E goes on the prowl.

Back to the back problem...I´m so glad the little guy seems to be perking up!

Cara

Post   » Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:08 am

I can imagine the horrified looks on the guest´s faces. Though those that really know me, from my side of the family, probably would only shake their heads and say, "There she goes again." My parents told me the other night that they are willing to pay for the recpetion and the rental of the chapel so the favors are back in! Swell parents I have!

Forgot to say I´ll print that info for my vet, Pinta. Happy is doing better. He´s still moving about much but he is eating better, a wider variety, he´s still on the Critical Care and the vet wants to keep him on it while he´s wearing the splint. I took some pics, need to get them developed, and see if I can scan them here at school.
Last edited by Cara on Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Louise

Post   » Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:50 am

What a horrible thing to happen. I hope he recovers quickly.

If you´re interested in herbal or Homeopathic remedies have a look a this - its a site about Comfrey - otherwise known as knitbone. I don´t know if you can use it - you may not be able to apply it f hes in so much pain, but maybe further down the line as he starts to heal. Arnica is also really good for bruising.
http://www.suncomfrey.com/benefits.htm