How my piggies helped me

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:25 pm

Yes I know the broke feeling. I can beat yours though.. my checking account is at negative $14. *chuckles*

Last thing I need is a sick pig. All look fat and well at the moment.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:42 pm

One of my friends is sending me a little bit of veggie money to tide me over until my next paycheck, and I have a campus meal plan so I can eat one meal a day and buy overpriced pasta, milk, canned soup, instant oatmeal, lime tostitos, olives and olive oil (all the necessities of life!) on my "Big Red Bucks". They make the meal plans so that you HAVE to pay $500 to get 500 BRBs, and what you don't spend gets wasted at the end of the semester.

I can get apples for Cuddles too (she hasn't figured out any vegetables, but she does understand the hay now), but forget any other produce or anything else I could feed the pigs. Maybe the place I eat lunch will let me take stuff home from their salad bar. They have spinach, broccoli, sometimes bell peppers, and I'm rambling off the subject of this thread...

Chloe760

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:31 pm

I agree with you, Chunky Piggies...Concerning the "value" of a pig and how a small vet bill can make some people run from pig ownership.

Sometimes I feel sheepish when new friends come over to my house and see the "animal room"...with a 2X5 cage and a bunny...

But I stay firm in my belief that these animals are intuitive and sensitive to humans. They ENJOY people as much as we enjoy them! People just don't get my love of pigs. (Of course here at GL, well yeah!)

Isn't it nice to come home after work and walk by their cages and just say hello and be answered back?! Or how they seem to "appreciate" when their cages are cleaned and fresh veggies laid out?

It gets me every time.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:48 pm

I get home right in the middle of afternoon naptime, so nobody greets me, unless Einstein has flipped over his tray and therefore has nothing to eat because he's knocked all his peachypellets (pellets softened and flavored with baby peaches) into the layer of alfalfa Jackie spreads around the cage. They usually figure out I'm here when they wake up, and start telling me how I should spend all day at home with them, etc.

My adult pigs also "appreciate" a nice clean cage by digging through the Carefresh until they find the newspaper, and ripping and eating the newspaper for a couple days. Especially at night. That's the perfect time to tear up newspaper, and push their cardboard house around, and argue over who gets to sit in it (when all three of them could easily fit), and push the water bottle around, and try to hump each other....

The babies are better-disposed towards each other, except for an occasional humping to re-establish that yes, Jackie is dominant over Einstein.

alteaon

Post   » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:56 am

Small note on the joy of guineas. I am manic depressive. Even though I take medication, it isnt' a cure all. My guineas have always selflessly comforted me, and made me feel worthy. I take care of them, and they love me for it, even though I may have my faults. Whenever I am depressed, it can be hard for the people around me to know what to do. My fiance has it down. He just hands me a guinea pig and leaves me be to pet and relax. The only downside of my guineas is that it's hard to leave them alone sometimes. Right now I only have one, the other died a few weeks ago. Technically, I"m not supposed to have pets in my apartment, but my landlord says guinea pigs are okay because they are small and contained. There are no guinea pig rescues around the area, but I met a patient where I work who hooked me up with some further south in the state. It's good to know that I'm not freakishly obsessed with guinea pigs, it;s just that there aren't that many people like us where I Live. But there are on this site. I'm glad it exists.