Drooling blackish liquid

domill

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:52 am

Oh no, not another sick pig. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice, just wanted to know that we are thinking of you and your pigs.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:55 am

Thanks, domill.

Jeannette, he broke his incisors (top teeth) off to the gumline in a fight. Same with Billy Bob, only his had to be extracted because they were dangling at an angle.

Looking back over this thread I think I am quite the idiot and should have listened to Lisam.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:52 pm

Tigger knocked out his front teeth, but except for his head tilt, the pneumonia, his abscess, and his wound injuries, his teeth are fine. (He's the Calamity pig, but apparently, his molars and whatnot aren't too bad yet.. But, he is only about 1.5 years old).

Rosie's incisor teeth have started to decay and fall out. His chin abscess is a result of one of those teeth going bad. It just fell out the other day. But his teeth don't grow crookedly - just soft and punky-like.

I have, so far, never had a pig with incisors that grew back crookedly. After reading this though, I will keep a better eye on it.

Chary, I'm thinking of you and Witherspoon. I hope he gets better. Please let us know how he's doing. Also, Tigger's ear infection/head tilt/pneumonia, etc. only responded to Chloramphenicol (because of the pus) so I hope you guys can get to the bottom of this with poor Witherspoon.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:13 pm

3 hours and $200 later, I have almost no news and Witherspoon is worse than before we went to the vet. What little news I do have is not good.

He is blind. How I (and my regular vet) missed this God only knows, but he has no pupillary reflex. This may explain why, when I put a plate of veggies down, he has always run around it first before eating. I thought he was being cute. He was looking for the food.

The vet insisted on doing bloodwork before doing dental x rays. I'm not a fan of doing bloodwork unless you're looking for something in particular, simply because it stresses out the cavy so much. But I consented because this is the only placein my area that can do dental x rays on a guinea pig. And they, I find out, can't read them either.

45 minutes, 3 techs, and 2 vets later, they only had a partial blood sample. They brought him back to me, now trembling and snuffling, and asked if I could bring him back tomorrow when a different tech would be working. Supposedly this tech would be able to do it. I said no.

So now I have no dental rads and all I can do is treat his URI until I find another vet who can do dental rads on a guinea pig. His molars, she said, were a bit overgrown, although not arching over the teeth. She wanted me to switch from Baytril to Bactrim in case it might be Bordetella.

I'm not so sure about that. What does everyone else think? I'm worried now that, with the way his lungs are sounding, it wouldn't be a good idea to do a molar trim. I could take him to my vet tomorrow for a skull rad and to get a scrip for chloramphenicol. But he can't read the rads and I can't either. So I STILL would not know if he has root elongation, would I?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:17 pm

Dr Lyon is coming to town soon. Maybe I can privately ask him if he would look at some rads for us?

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:21 pm

He doesn't know guinea pigs by his own admission. And that would mean letting you-know-who get hands on my guinea pig, wouldn't it? Not my first choice. I am going to call Avian & Exotic but I doubt they will do dental x rays, even if they have the equipment, without bloodwork either.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:24 pm

Chary-
Pinta isn't reading GL anymore. You should email her.

It sounds to me like this new vet doesn't know all that much, but I realise you don't have many other options. Would she consider trimming his teeth even without the blood work and everything? I can't understand what that was for, anyway.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:30 pm

I emailed her this morning.

Supposedly the bloodwork was to check for renal failure, which she felt was the number one fatal disease for guinea pigs. She also doesn't think heart disease is common in guinea pigs.

Yes, my vet will trim the molars without any x rays or bloodwork. I was hoping to check for root elongation because of the head tilt and URI. That, I guess, will have to wait.

Do you think I should wait to get the tooth trim until his lungs sound a bit better?

ChunkyPiggies

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:34 pm

I can get to Dr Lyon on a day that you-know-who isnt there. See if he can take a quick peak. He's not the GP guru but he sure knows his teeth.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:39 pm

Chary-
I guess it depends on how serious the URI is. Of course, as you already know it, putting a pig with a URI under is less than ideal, but if he can't eat, that's less than ideal, too. So it's your call, but I think I would give him a few days to get a little better (handfeed like crazy and do subcues) and then have his teeth trimmed. Of course, it depends on how bad the tethh thing is.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:45 pm

I don't think the teeth are that bad, but then again, I'm not so terribly sure that she knows. The URI I think is what is causing him not to eat. He sounded very snuffly after they brought him back.

I also think I should stick with the Baytril. Bactrim for a URI doesn't sound right to me.

CP, he needs full dentals, will Dr. Lyon do that without bloodwork? Because I'm not hauling him all the way up there for another ordeal.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:50 pm

Bactrim works very well on URIs, but it's up to you. However, with my pigs, Baytril has caused more loss of appetite than Bactrim. I rarely use Baytril at all. Bactrim and Chloramphenicol are my two first choices.