Drooling blackish liquid

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:08 pm

Ok Bactrim. I am trying to get some chlor soon for both Wither and Panda.

Wonder if being blind affected his ability to find the food.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:16 pm

Pigs can't see shit to start with, Chary. Being blind has very little effect on them, from what I've been told by people who have blind pigs. Pinta's Taffeta is diabetic and went blind a couple years ago. You just can't tell from just watching her.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:19 pm

You know, I don't think that diagnosis is correct.

I put him in his pigloo and he cleaned himself then sat there. I leaned in and placed my finger straight out about 6 inches from his face. He crept forward and smelled it. Then I took a piece of romaine and did the same thing. He walked right out and took it.

I don't think he is blind. It has to be wrong. But why else wouldn't his pupils retract from light?

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:19 pm

Einstein has been able to find food since he was about two days old. He used to hang out in the hidey house until Suzi pulled herself up to eat out of the hayrack, then run over and mob her nipple. He couldn't see her, he couldn't hear her, but he could smell the milk or something like that.

Your pig probably runs around the vegetables to figure out how much he has or something.

Your finger and romaine lettuce smell, especially at six inches.

Charybdis

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:22 pm

Ok.

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:16 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your little guy. I hope Witherspoon gets better soon.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:43 pm

Ironically, I could put things in front of my pigs' faces, drop them and they seemed not to be able to see where they were -- but I knew they all had vision. A pig that is blind has a bloodless eye. Shine a light in. Don't worry about retraction, just look to see if you can see any red (as in night shining).

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:48 pm

A pig that is blind has a bloodless eye.

Is that true in all cases of blindness? I mean, it's true in Einstein's, but I would think a pig with, for instance, nerve damage to the optic nerve, would still have all the machinery of the eye working fine and reflecting red.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:50 pm

Chary, try this. It is by no means foolproof but it is an indication of root elongation.
Run your finger under his bottom jawbone, from his mouth back to his jaw hinge. Angel had root elongation and she had 2 bumps on each side where the root from the back molar had penetrated the jawbone. Use another pig for comparison if you need to.
Also, each time Angel had her teeth worked on, her right eye would water. That was because the upper root had penetrated the eye socket.
Witherspoons might not have these bumps, pigs can have root elongation that is not as severe as Angel's were.
It's just a thought. I don't think without the rads you will really know. I'm so sorry you are having trouble with him.

Becky

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:17 pm

Chary, which pig did I move the jaw back and forth? Was that Witherspoon? I'm no expert, but whichever pig that was had a jaw that felt clicky (for lack of a better word).

Sorry your guy is poorly again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:19 pm

Salana, yes, doubtlessly there are other causes of blindness. This is the only one I know about.

piggypie

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:02 am

But wouldnt' the eye start to rot from lack of blood supply?

That seems very bizarre that they can have a bloodless eye but it doesn't kill them.