Drooling blackish liquid

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:35 am

Rosie is blind, but does not have a bloodless eye that we know of. The outer edges of his eyes "look" fine, but the pupil and the exterior surface right in the middle have died. His pupils do not retract when you shine a light in them, but his eyes tear up and secrete cleaning fluid, etc. so the rest of their function works fine.

He will know you're coming with veggies, raise up and sniff the air, and sometimes will even walk right past stuff unless you shove it right in front of his face. He will turn circles around and around something until you poke him with it. Then he settles down to eat. I don't think he can smell all that great, either.

Chary, I have used both Bactrim and Baytril on URIs. It all depends on what the bug is. Chloramphenicol, we've only used once with Tigger's ear infection/pneumonia, so I can't say "Yeah, that works great for all URIs" or anything. It did penetrate pus. Tigger also got Lasix and O2 because he was so congested he was having mini-seizures from lack of oxygen. Perhaps you can get some Lasix for Witherspoon to relieve some of his congestion? If you do subcues, won't that counteract any dehydration?

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:06 am

Thanks, Para. I'm giving Pedialyte now and will do SQ as needed. I have Lasix but really, he doesn't seem that bad--the snuffling went away and all I hear is a mild click. I will switch to Bactrim.

Becky, that was Bea. Wither is the fluffy white Texel in the kitchen.

KM, his right eye is watering and his head is tilting to the right. That's exactly what has me concerned, along with the scissor bite.

My plan of action is to bulk him up over the weekend with Critical Care and fluids and give him ABs. Then on Monday I will take him to my regular vet for skull rads and a molar planing.

Depending on what the skull rads show, I can take him back to this other clinic and insist on dental rads despite having no bloodwork. Either the skull rads or the dental x rays can be sent around for second opinions.

I don't want to have to have him sedated twice, but my vet doesn't do rodent dental x rays and this other vet--I don't trust her to plane the teeth. A fine mess. If the right vet had the right equipment, this wouldn't be such a problem.

Or does anyone think I should take him in immediately for the molar trim or the dental rads?

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:25 am

No, I would go with your gut feeling (it's also mine) to handfeed, give him fluids, and try to get some strength back into him since the stress of today before you go and stress him out again. Do you have any powdered B12? You could add some to his CC and give a tad more energy. It might help give him an appetite, too.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:41 am

Chary, did you feel for the bumps along the lower jaw? I felt them on Angel, but on no other pigs I have. They are pretty prominent if it's gotten that far.

Charybdis

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:37 pm

KM, I keep feeling his jaw but I can't tell. He is definitely worse this morning and I am very worried. His head is tilted farther to the side and he is resting it on the ground. He doesn't want to eat or move.

My vet has no appointments until Monday.

I called the vet who saw him yesterday and they are unwilling to even do skull rads without anaesthetizing him, and they won't do this without getting the bloodwork back.

My vet says that I can come in as a walk in which means that I might be waiting there all day. I have no other choice. He looks to me like he is dying. This is my baby, my sweetest pig. I'm going out of my mind here.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:54 pm

Chary, I'm so sorry.

Evangeline

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:56 pm

Urgh.
I wish I could help in any way.

jennylynn
GL Junkie

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:57 pm

I'm sorry, Chary. I wish we could hang on to them forever.
Hang in there. You're doing everything you can.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:58 pm

Oh geez. I hope its not that he's dying and the vet can help you today. You'll need to go there with him and then do what's best and what you feel he needs to have done.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:36 pm

I'm sorry for you both.

xxrw2

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:41 pm

I'm so sorry your going through this. Hang in there.

ottosmom

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:50 pm

I'm so sorry that Witherspoon is not doing well. I hope the vet can help him today. I hope you are doing ok yourself. You have had more than your share of piggy problems lately and it's got to be taking its toll on you. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and all your sick piggies.