Drooling blackish liquid

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:22 pm

Thank you for the information. I spoke with my vet a short while ago and he wanted to wait until Monday to consider Enacard. There is still some concern about kidney failure and the partial CBC may be back by Monday.

I do not know the mg/ml, But I am giving him .2ml of Lasix 3 times per day.

He just got some SQ, and then a little rest, and now he is ripping veggies out of my hand.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:27 pm

It is Ok to use the tablets in pigs. I think that is what Josephine does for her heart pig. We would all have to work together to figure out how much to give. I am sure it is a teeny tiny amount of a tablet.

Is the Lasix Furosimide? Does it have a strength on the bottle?

Charybdis

Post   » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:05 pm

It doesn't. It is what I got for Panda. It reads:

Lasix syrup per ml/ 6ml (s)

He ate about a handful of veggies, which was very taxing for him as I had to feed it past his incisors, and is now resting. His right eye continues to leak. He doesn't appear to be leaning quite as much.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:07 pm

When Scamper was on the heart meds, the vet broke the Enacard tablets into 1/8 sections for me. 1/8 of a tablet a day for him. Wasn't that hard to give him, either, and it did help him quite a bit.

Sorry, I don't remember the original mg size of the tablets.

KarasKavies

Post   » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:28 pm

The leaky eye indicates heart for me too.

So on the Lasix, are they trying to say that each ml contains 6mls of Lasix??? HUH!?? I don't understand that.

You know, Chary, I would really be tempted to start the Enacard. I understand the vet's reservations, but it sure can help if heart is the problem. How much damage could a few days due until you get the blood results?

The Lasix is hard on the kidneys too. Did you give him a subque? That's hard on the kidneys too just because of all the extra fluid he has to pass.

I would be REALLY tempted to add some enacard, especailly if you have some near by. What do the others of you think?

KarasKavies

Post   » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:32 pm

A tenth of a 2.5mg tablet would be 0.25mg. That is at the highest range that Josephine talks of. I suppose it would be hard to divide it, but not impossible.

The best would be to give 1/20 of a tab twice a day.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:16 am

If I called the vet tomorrow and pressed him for Enacard, he would probably prescribe it.

It's just that...I am so exhausted. Up most of the night with sick pigs for more than two weeks now. I've been to Long Beach back and forth Thursday, Friday, and twice today. Have to go again on Monday. Today was a promo event. Tomorrow is a planning meeting for volunteers and I am making all the food. Hand feed, drive, handfeed, drive. I would sit down and cry if I had a minute to spare.

I will try. I must try, try, try to go get the Enacard tomorrow. Thank you for all the advice. I really do appreciate it.

KarasKavies

Post   » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:26 am

Get some rest. You are in an impossible situation.

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:48 am

Oh, Charybdis, I am sorry for your struggles. Please, Please, PLEASE, take care of yourself. You can't help these pigs if you are worn out. Even if you do something as simple as take a shower in candle light and put pretty smelling lotion on your body afterwards (also by candlelight).

You are worth takeing care of yourself!

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:42 am

Thanks Jeannette. Pigglies was starting to complain today that I stink.

Wither is very lethargic but I'm still managing to get food in him. He tires easily though and then stops chewing the food I put in his mouth. It takes about an hour to get 12cc of Critical Care plus pedialyte in him.

It worries me that he is not lying down all the way. He seems to be propping himself up a little bit...I can usually find space between his stomach and the ground. To me this signifies stomach upset or kidney problems. I think the latter is more likely. His stomach is not painful or bloated.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:53 am

I'd go with your gut then. Good luck to you guys. I'm pulling for Wither.

Charybdis

Post   » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:20 pm

Witherspoon is still the same.

I called the vet and Dr. R will not be in until tomorrow morning. So I left all of the information about compounding and dosing Enalapril so that he could have it ready for us tomorrow. I'm sure he will call me if they can't make it and I'll get it from the compounding pharmacist. That way Wither won't have to wait any longer.

Kara, thank you so much for posting all that info.