Help! Guinea Pig Licorice losing weight

summer

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:22 pm

I have an 8 week old female guinea pig. I just weighed her last week and she weighed 10 ounces. Today she weighs 8.5 ounces and seems very lathargic, doesn´t eat, drink or poop. What could it be? What should I do?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2002 4:28 pm

Her condition sounds extremely serious. You need veterinary help immediately. Your pet needs a proper diagnosis, perhaps antibiotics, a sub cue to rehydrate and probably needs to be hand fed.

If you do not find out what is wrong and get the proper treatment, just handfeeding will not pull her through.

I´m sorry I don´t have anything encouraging to say, but this is an emergency situation.

pinta

Post   » Sat Feb 02, 2002 8:09 pm

The most standard illness pigs seem to come down with is upper respiratory infections. Extremely common in Pet store pigs. Often you don´t see the symptoms of lethargy and not eating and not drinking until the pig has been ill for a couple of weeks.

Absolutely an emergency situation. You must get her to a vet. Go to an emergency clinic if necessary. Once they´re at the state you describe, the illness has progressed far along and without meds is often fatal. She probably requires antibiotics such as Doxycycline or Bactrim. Pigs that young should not get Baytril. Print off the safe and dangerous meds (click on them at top of page) to give the vet in attendance if you are concerned about their level of expertise. Absolutely no penicillin-based meds - toxic to pigs.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1