Intros - Hollister pigs and Fido

SandraVE

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:02 pm

Yes, I´m confused. Aren´t new piggies supposed to be quarrantined for 2-3 weeks before introducing them into an existing herd? I will be getting one or two from Ladyveg in a couple of weeks and thought I would have to quarrantine them first (even though I´m sure they will be healthy). Is this NOT necessary if you know where the piggers are coming from and that they were in good health before you got them?

Thanks.

Sunny

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:02 pm

Cordelia - what progress!! I think kicking the legs out to relax is a huge statement of trust. Congratulations!!

Rover and Winnie haven´t come close to being that relaxed with me.

Do you know how old Trudy and Gertie are? Bats estimated my boys were about 4 weeks.

Cordelia
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:41 pm

I believe Becky said 4-6 weeks old. I was surprised that they are so relaxed. Held them for about 45 minutes straight. I am just waiting for them to yawn, there is nothing sweeter than a guinea pig yawning-total relaxation.

I was a bit worried about the Hollister adopted getting a URI or something on the road trip out here-that´s why I am quarantining. They both seem quite healthy. I also have 3 pigs, so no pig is lonely during quarantine, whereas Sunny had one lone pig. I would ask Ladyveg her thoughts on quarantine of your new additions. By the way, congrats on your adoption(s) SandraVE!

Sunny

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:22 pm

I agree about the piggy yawning. It´s the best!

Congrats SandraVE! LadyVeg has some cuties!! Which ones are you getting? I agree with Cordelia, ask LadyVeg if she thinks quarantining is necessary.

I got opinions from Becky and pigpal and they thought that because our pigs both had vet visits and had ivermec (sp?) treatments while at the shelter, they had satisfied the quarantine period. Cordelia is using the safer, less-risky method.

pinta

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:55 pm

Hmmph. I told you Fido was getting a bum rap.

Sunny

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2002 6:51 pm

Ha! Pinta, you didn´t see him terrorize Spot!

Spot was an easy target but Winnie won´t put up with it. Plus Winnie and Rover are small enough and quick enough to escape his clutches.

:-)

SandraVE

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:55 pm

Ladyveg is holding Dongwa for me. He will be a cagemate/buddy for my Frosty. I would also like to have another female - hopefully one from Hollister. I currently have 2 females, a 2yr. old bossy big pig Moki, and a mellow 5 year old Cocoa. I need to get one that will get along with both females. Probably another mellow pig would be best.

Before I knew about quarantine, both times I introduced new pigs, they got lice. Not a pleasant addition. Well the pigs were great, the lice - yuk.

Jill

Post   » Sat Aug 10, 2002 10:15 am

Oh Sunny, I´m so happy for you. You must be having a ball watching those pigs. The new babies are adorable, it would be so funny to see Winnie´s ears flap.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sat Aug 10, 2002 5:03 pm

I have a few ´flappers´ here, it´s adorable!

Becky

Post   » Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:03 am

Sunny, I´m just now catching up on these threads. I´m thrilled that all of your boys are getting along. That first adoption was really special. Both you and Cordelia are great moms, and I loved meeting you and your families. Thanks for the salt water taffy!

About quarantine, the Hollister piggers were all given the full treatment for mites and lice and monitored for any other illnesses, so it was fine to introduce them right away. We told everyone if they would feel more comfortable, they could wait to introduce.

That Rover is something else, isn´t he? Houdini, the escape artist!

Sunny

Post   » Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:16 pm

No Becky, Winnie was the escape artist. He is the noisy, cream and white ear-flappin Abby. Rover is the black/brown crested American.

By the way everyone, Sophie told me during the drive from California to SLC they had nick-named my funny little Winnie "The Evil One." I guess he escaped from his cage during the drive!! (hence the "Houdini" comment).

Yes Becky, he certainly is something. Last Wednesday, I walked him a couple houses down the street to introduce him to my neighbor piggy-sitter. He wheeked so loudly that neighbors came out to the street to see what was going on!

Both boys are very sweet and getting better about trusting me. They still hide when I approach their cage but Rover will now take food (cautiously) from my hand. They don´t really "get" lap time and spend the time burrowed at the furthest end of the towel. HOWEVER, they LOVE floor time and popcorn their little hearts out running laps through the cardboard houses and hopping in and out of the litter boxes spraying bedding everywhere!! Fido is dizzy from watching them. Love those boys.
Last edited by Sunny on Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny

Post   » Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:20 pm

Oh, and Becky. It was so wonderful meeting you, Jackie and Sophie. What a wonderful thing you´ve done. Just think of how many lives you´ve touched (human and piglets) and the joy you´ve spread.