Helping Kids Handle Cavies

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:21 am

I need some advice from anyone who has younger children or has had the opportunity to introduce cavies to younger children.

My husband and I don't have kids ourselves (at least, not the human kind!), but we have a niece and three nephews, two little neighbor girls, and friends with kids all in the age range of a few months to seven years old.

This evening, our neighbor kids came over to meet our pigs for the second time. We had them in their play area so it would be easy to watch them. The older girl (seven) did a really good job of waiting patiently for our pigs to come meet her - and to our surprise, Sullivan walked right up to her and let her pet him. The younger girl (five) kept startling Gilbert because she kept trying to grab him. We told her that if she stayed still, he'd come up to her. She stayed still right up until he approached her, and then of course she grabbed for him and freaked him out. (The last time the girls came over, we let them sit in chairs with towels and hold our pigs, which they did really well, and both pigs were happily cooing.)

Here's my question: How do you explain to a five-year-old how to treat a guinea pig?

critterluv02

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:30 am

I am not an expert with children, but I am willing to bet that reaching for him was kind of an instinct. I usually just have kids hold them on their lap facing toward their tummies so the pig is unlikely to try and bolt away. For older kids, I teach them to hold them on their chest so the pig is completely supported.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:50 am

We have a rule that kids have to be sitting and that the pig has to be in a cozy. I use this up to 12 yr olds and sometimes older.

I have found that kids sometimes panic at the nails. Having the piggy secure in the cozy sack seems to help the comfort level of both the child and the pig. We use the sitting rule so that no one gets accidently dropped.

butterflyturtles

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:02 am

My daughter is just turning five and is really great with all our animals, expecially our pigs. I do have rules to keep my piggie babies safe.

She is not allowed to get them out of the cage or put them back, she can not feed them without asking, and her least favorite she can not walk around while holding them(mommy can, so it makes her jealous).
But this is my kid. Other kids even my beloved nephew is a different story. I trust him to sit and hold them on the couch, or sit on the floor and play. That is pretty much it.

L M One

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:38 am

I have a 6 yr old and a 3 yr old...

But we've had piggies for 4 years now.
What I've found that they relate to is a story told to them. Or some kind of a 'play'.

I told my two to 'close your eyes.' and picture themselves playing at the park. They are having fun and swinging. I described the day and all. (they'd peek and open their eyes when they started getting into the story. Then I talked about a huge purple monster approaching. He was BIGGER then the trees! He had teeth, all pointy, when he 'smiled' and when he talked, it was loud like booming thunder. But he sat across the street and simply watched them play. At first, I asked "you would feel startled, wouldn't you?"
They both nodded thier heads. "But, when you found out, though he's big, he was also kind and gentle and didn't want to hurt you. His fur was pretty, thick and looked soft"
They both smiled.
"But as you walked closer, he held out his big paw for you to pet. Would you touch him if he was a nice monster?"

They both agreed they would...
Then I said..."What if the monster got very excited about you getting closer to him...so excited that he reached out to grab you!" and even made my own voice go a bit growly when I asked them the question.
They both jumped a bit; eyes wide. They laughed (because I made my monster face). BUt the point was given when I said.."See? The guinea pigs feel the same way. They would love for you to pet and love them, but, just like the purple monster, you have to be very still and let them come to you. You don't want to frighten your new friends away."

Anyway, it worked. They both are very gentle, and sit down outside the 'play area', waitng for the piggies to one, by one, approach in thier own time. (though, sometimes they have to be bribed with a bit of lettuce)

LilSqueaker

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:10 am

L.M.One, superb story. I can see how that would really get it home to kids.

L M One

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:47 am

Thanks.

When it comes to lessons for my kids I'm a story telling fool;

"The Very Quiet Butterfly" is one I use to keep them hushed in situations where it's inapropriat to be noisy (church, hospitals,libraries, grandma's house.)

"Little Jarred Mouse" Is one I use to teach them when to call for help. How to know the difference between dangerious things that require assistance and simple things that can be figured out on thier own with a little patience and perseverance

"Wild, Wild Westie" Is a story I tell them about feeling so energetic they can't contain themselves anymore. How to ask to go outside, to the backyard and do the "Wild, Wild, Westie" -- It helps to actually OWN a Westie who's hyper active most of the time, too. lol

I have quite a few more and can make one up at the drop of a hat in any situation that would need one.

It rubs off on them. Every semester when they have Parent/Teacher conferances, I'll get so many compliments about how the O'D---- kids are the most creative story tellers they have in school.

L M One

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:01 am

Oh! Here's a bit of a hint too.

Do not just tell the story once. When ever the situation arises again, ask them "Do you remember the Purple Monster?"
If they tell you they do (and thier little faces light up with recognision), you may test them a bit and ask THEM to tell you the story. They'll get bits and peaces. You can fill in the rest. Then ask, again..."You don't want to be like the purple monster and frighten your friends away. Right? So lets remember to be very still and let the guinea pigs come to us, first."
It's a good story to tell when the smaller children are exposed to most any timid animal.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:35 pm

L.M.One, that's a really great story. And what I like about it is that it doesn't come across as scolding; it's a fun story that they can remember and relate to. I don't want my little neighbor girl to feel bad or shameful, I just want her to learn the right way to handle the pigs.

I'll also take the above mentioned advice about having them sit down and just holding the pigs.

L.M.One - have you written a collection of your stories yet? :)

savycavy_

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:42 pm

My oldest neice is 6 and she is the only one I let of my neices and nephews touch my pigs. She is very good and very gentle but I cant get her to stop giggling. She'll be sitting holing the piggie on her lap and he'll look are her, or rumble or nibble her chothes and she breaks out in this little girl giggle that totally freaks the piggies out. Oh, well I guess the piggies will just have to get used to it.

Joanna

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:53 pm

I think the most important rule is to have them sitting on the floor so the cavy can come to them and to always supervise. Even a well meaning child can cause harm. I have rabbits and this works well with them. If they want to escape from my 4 year old they can. My son inadvertantly touched one of my degu's tails and the tip came off with a lot of blood! Since then he is only allowed to watch them. I also teach grade fours, but I wouldn't trust many of them with anything smaller than a dog.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:02 pm

I started my niece and nephew off with guided petting, where I held their hands and controlled how they were petting the pigs. ("Pet him softly...let's stay away from his eyes..." etc.) Then they moved on to petting with supervision, learning more about the pigs ("What color is Einstein's nose?" "PINK!") My niece has held pigs in her lap with me sitting right beside her, and is to the point where she can hold some of the pigs (mainly Cuddles and Doom) in her lap on her own. Cuddles is quite fond of her and Doom is pretty easy to manage as long as he's getting attention and being talked to. I don't let her hold Suzi, who is high-strung and somewhat bitey, or Jackie, who is terrified of everything, yet.

My niece is almost 6 and my nephew is almost 3, and has started learning how to give chin-scratches to Jackie.