Helping Kids Handle Cavies

L M One

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:03 pm

Try the "Whisper Whisper" game.
When you place the piggy in her arms--

YOU whisper to her "shhh.. this piggy has a special game he loves to play. He calls it the "Whisper, Whisper" game". Let's play, too!"
Then when she starts to giggle, put your finger to your lips and whisper again.

"Shhh...he's trying to make you lose the game by getting you to giggle! He's a sly little piggy, isn't he? Let's show him you're going to win, this time!"

Eventually, she'll learn to contain herself from any shrilling giggles. If she gives softer little giggles you can praise her by saying.."Oh! That giggle was so soft I don't think he heard it! You're going to win!"

L M One

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:13 pm

TwoWhitePiggies,

*laugh* No, I haven't written any books. But thanks for the compliment.

I love Joanna's idea for the older children. (over 6)
My kids will sit on the floor, 'toe-to-toe' and creat a 'pin' with their legs. They usually roll Dragon's Mr Nibbles (bell toy) around so he can chase it. He loves it so much.

salana's idea is amazing when it covers 'color' and even the shape of piggies, along with how to handle them!
I really think there is so little we can't teach children about animal care and respect for all pets.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:22 pm

Wow! Lots of good ideas. Salana, I really like your suggestion about guiding them through the get-to-know-the-pig process.

Am I remembering correctly that Einstein is a "special" piggy? Aside from the disabilities, does he handle being petted and played with as well as any guinea pig would?

Most of the kids who might be coming into contact with our pigs grew up around cats and dogs - animals large enough to get away. My neighbor girls have three cats (one of whom resembles Bucky in the Get Fuzzy comic - complete with the fang), fish, and birds; my friends' kids have four cats, two of our nephews have three cats, and my other nephew and niece don't have pets but spend time at my parents' house, where Mickey the Collie keeps them in line. So none of them have really had much exposure to the little pets that you can actually touch.

Teresa

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:55 pm

Wow! Excellent info, suggestions and stories. Do you guys mind if I take a lot of this and construct a page for Cavy Spirit on "Kids and Guinea Pigs"? I think it would be very helpful and appropriate for the site. It's VERY pertinent to adoption and kids and grooming successful cavy slaves to prevent future surrenders. I'll reference this thread as well.

savycavy_

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:59 pm

good idea Lm we'll have to try the wisper game.

L M One

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:29 pm

That's a great idea, Teresa!
You're definatly welcome to any stories or ideas.
Thank you, too, for wanting to creat a page that can help other parents out in teaching kids the value of each small pets' care

L M One

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:39 pm

Oh! I remember another game we love to play.
It's called "Tunal Trouble"

What I normalydo during floor time,is put down a few cardboard boxes around the play area. This is very important to new pigs who are still feeling a bit shy, but need floor time (alone, though, untill they can safely be introduced to the rest of the herd). The boxs have two openings. Like a tunal. When the piggy goes in, the child who is trying to win the new little guy's trust will lay on his belly, at least a full arm and a half length away. Holding a nice treat (Letuc or carrot or bit of apple) and gently speek to him to coax him back out of the tunal. This is usually only for the very patient older child. But you should see the pride when we all celebrate a nose peeking out of the tunal, and even more when the piggy takes the morsal of food from the child's hand!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:33 pm

Einstein is an attention hog. He loves getting petted and having ear-scratches and chin-scratches, or getting tasty treats.

I forgot to mention that--I started my niece and nephew out fairly young getting treats for the pigs. Baby carrots and grape tomatoes are their favorites, and they'll argue over whose carrot Jackie is eating more of. They started out just putting the carrots or tomatoes in front of the pigs (in my lap or on a towel on the floor) but moved on to holding the carrot while the pig chews it. With multiple pigs, they're scrupulously fair, although sometimes overzealous in saying, "No, Cuddles, that's Suzi's tomato, yours is this one," which the pigs ignore. My niece and nephew are both very into making sure all the pigs have tomatoes or carrots and nobody is left out, which is good. This is probably a good way to show that there are enough tomatoes for everyone and sharing is a good thing, etc.

Let me see if I can find any pictures of my niece and nephew with the pigs.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:41 pm

Notice how my hands are right there for Einstein in this one.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:37 pm

Those kids are really adorable.

We did the same thing when my little cousin came over. I sat in a chair with Flo on my lap, and Steve sat nearby with his hands at the ready, too:

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:29 pm

I have a 4 year old & a 2 year old. My four old son, Toby is allowed to hold one piggie at a time in his lap & feed them veggies. Toby's really good with the piggies, the cat, and the fish. Toby even lets Rayna climb up on his chest for a kiss while he's sitting on the couch.

My two old son, Max is a completely different story. Max is allowed to feed veggies to a pig that is either on my lap or on the couch while he sits on the floor. This way if Max gets bored & wants to get up to play then no piggie gets accidentally smushed/dropped/hurt. I or my husband closely supervise all piggie time with the kids and we don't have more than 2 pigs out at a time. We also don't do floor time with the pigs until the kids are asleep.

Salana, my boys also argue over who is eating more veggies from them too. It's also cute to see Max try to bribe a pig to leave Toby's lap for him.

momof911kids
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:17 pm

Here is Max sitting on the floor in front of the couch while Ashes eats some carrot from his hand.

Here is Toby carefully petting Ashes while she eats some greens.
Last edited by momof911kids on Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.