Not emergency, but need help

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:06 pm

Tell me how the Nizoral works. What you are talking about is the likelihood of fungus. Nizoral appears to be safe, as many topical fungal treatments would be. EC, you ought to try it too. Nina really did improve after I used it. Lucy is probably embarrassed to have her pic taken, poor thing.

ECollins

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:38 pm

*blush* OK.

Alibabble

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:11 pm

I wonder why teddies do get more ear gunk. Sweetheart needs his ears cleaned weekly to keep ahead of the wax and dead skin that accumulates. I´ve finally accepted that a little bit of dandruff is normal for him, nothing seems to clear up the last little bit of flakes. It doesn´t seem to bother him so I think I´ll just use Nizoral when he needs a bath.

pinta

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:50 pm

A Ringworm culture takes a minimum of 10 days to grow. But if it was Ringworm - all your herd and you would have it. It may be another fungus. I´m not up on the various choices but a I assume there is more than one. Fungi do take time to grow. So does bacteria. We waited 4 days once to conclusively ID a bacteria. Took that long to grow.

I suspect your vet didn´t get anything cultured - usually they send samples to a lab for that. He might have just looked under a black light which is not a 100% diagnosis or detection method for fungi.

Conofite is mentioned in the Harkness and Wagner book as a topical antifungal agent.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:16 pm

The Nizoral site has some interesting information on dandruff. I think they describe it as a yeast/fungal infection (been a while since I read it). Not all fungi are ringworm -- others cause dandruff, I understand.

lisam

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:55 am

My husband uses Nizoral, and swears by the stuff. I never could use it--always pregnant or breastfeeding.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:02 am

Yeah, I got the conofite cream when I took in those youngsters from the feedstore. The vet said they had ringworm. Treated them all for it. But they had a couple bald spots and stuff, nothing like Dani. She has no hair loss, so to speak. Sheds like crazy. I tried the Nizoral. I will re-bathe her in one week. If no improvement, back to the vet we´ll go for a culture.
The rest of the herd seems fine, and none of us humans have anything.

leebee

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:04 pm

I have a pig with this exact same problem. I got him and another pig from the humane society. They had been kept in a herd of 28 pigs, with no food, moldy water and living in their own waste before Animal Control rescued them. The other pig is fine, as is my original petstore guy. But Riley has this same problem on his hind end. I comb him every night, but it always returns (he looks just like Dani when I comb him). I thought it was mites, but he´s been treated with ivermectin. It´s definitely painful to him as well, as he whines through the whole process, but he is far too sweet (or scared) to make much of a fuss. I´m going to pick up some nizoral and try it, I´d do anything at this point to help him out. Does anyone think this would cause the hair to be poor? When I first got him, his hair was really dry and brittle and sparse in places. It has improved somewhat, but it is not the soft, nice coat that Charles or Nelson has. I´m hoping it improves once I get his problem cleared up. Thanks!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:22 pm

Is he fed a good diet? (I imagine so) If it is fungal, I wouldn´t be surprised if it did affect the coat. Good luck with the Nizoral.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:37 am

She seems to be much better. I guess the Nizoral did the trick. She is such a little pig. I had someone who was thinking of taking her as a pet, and I wanted to make sure she was problem free if that happened. As you all know, I wouldn´t place a pig if there were ANY issues, even small ones.
Thanks for all your help guys!

Jac

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 9:52 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know if Nizarol is available in the uk? Thanks.

Jac

Post   » Fri Feb 08, 2002 9:57 pm

Hi, does anyone know if Nizoral is available in the uk?
Thanks!