Mouth Sores

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:04 pm

Probiotics in the water?

Not impressive.

Estella

Post   » Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:01 am

Don´t pro-biotics work then? I have never had any experience with them.
The vet said they were for gp use.
So far he seems ok with the medication still eating well and doing his normal functions. The scabs are not as big as they were and do not seem as formed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 16, 2002 8:18 am

Her main complaint is the method of delivery. Putting anything in the water can have negative consequences (tastes funny, animal doesn´t drink as much, unknown delivery of drug added).

She has heard that many probiotics don´t really make it past the stomach and into the intestines. Fresh poops from a healthy pig reported have a coating enabling that bacteria to make it back into the intestinal tract.

Sprinkling a very tiny amount on a wet leaf just before feeding, a couple hours after giving medication, should work much better than putting anything in the water.

Estella

Post   » Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:51 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought when I saw Josephine´s note, that the probiotics maybe bad for him. I understand your point about Water based delivery systems and agree totally.
What I have been doing is dipping grass and vegetables in the water so there is a good covering of medicated water on the leaf and hand feeding him with these. His appitite is still as strong as ever, so he greedily munches down the medicine. The main antiobiotic is fed by syringe into the mouth so that is always measured.

I have an extra bowl of ordinary water so he still drinks enough.