Belle's eye >> red growth thing

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:31 pm

Steve and I were out this morning, and we came back and were greeting the pigs and I immediately noticed that Belle's eye looked weird. Upon closer inpsection, she has red nodules coming out from the upper eyelid of her left eye. The eye itself is not clouded (which is what we've seen when our pigs have been poked in the eye with hay), and it most definitely was not like this last night when I took pictures of her.

Anyway, here's what it looks like. Could this be pea-eye? It doesn't look enclosed within any membrane at all. I had a good look at her other eye and saw what might be the beginnings of something similar on her lower lid (see bottom pic). I put a bit of antibiotic opthalmic ointment on it for now and will call the vet in the AM (probably just the local vet) to see if they can squeeze her in in the PM as I'm taking a half day to get ready for Passover.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:57 pm

Those pictures look terrible. Is Belle's eye hurting her? I hope you get in to the vet tomorrow.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:32 pm

She seemed to wince a little when I put the AB ointment on, but that might have been a general 'eeek you're messing with my eyeball' reaction.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:56 pm

My uncle's dog has a chronic conditoin that looks similar to your pig's eye. What the dog's probelm is is enlarged tear ducts. I don't know if that is what it wrong with Belle, but it looks identical to the dog's eyes.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:00 pm

Would something like that literally appear overnight?

lisam

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:19 pm

It's not pea eye, but looks to be some kind of swelling. Josephine would know what it is, or a vet visit is in order.

melcvt00

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:20 pm

I told Swannie that my first thought is that something got under that eyelid and is causing/caused inflammation.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:30 pm

I seem to remember reading about something similar but I'm afraid I don't remember any details. Poor girl. Opthalmic ointment sounds like a good idea. You posted in the Feedback forum that you don't mind if I copy your pics. So, assuming you still don't mind, I'm going to save the top one and add it to the thread (it is very clear).

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:31 pm

Sure thing. I'll hopefully be able to see a vet tomorrow and get some answers.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:37 pm

I never thought to ask if it just happened or if it developed over time.
Good luck at the vet. :)

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:42 pm

I have two sows with lower lids just like the lower lid photo. I have had the vet look at them many times and he didn't seem to think it was anything we could do anything about. Actually, now that I think of it, I have three pigs with one eye like that.

I have used drops etc. but nothing seemed to make any difference. It seems like at times it gets smaller and at times it gets bigger, but it is always there. They have been like this for well over a year and don't bother the pig at all.

As far as it happening overnight, it did seem like I sdidn't see it one day and then it was there the next day. I suppose it happens over time, but we don't notice it until it is more obvious.

It can also be caused by something getting in the eye. The vet used the dye on two of my pigs and there was nothing there. It all looked great.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:15 pm

Erin, have you ever seen anything like this on LP or her other kids?