Belle's eye >> red growth thing

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:25 pm

Holy crap, No!

Karma had something similar, though. My rabbit. I used Ciloxan 0.3% Eye Drops ALC on her and it cleared it up within a couple days.

Please do let me know what the vet had to say, that looks painful.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:26 pm

It gives me the heebies to see the picture, but it's not as startling in real life.

Will report back when we have more info.

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:04 am

Yeah, it's not pea eye. I've never seen cherry eye, just heard of it, but a vet check is on order.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:48 am

Vet appt. at 4pm today. Wish us luck!

leebee

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:12 am

Newton had the exact problem with his eyes. If you pull the lid back, her conjuctiva is probably very inflamed all the way back. The vet gave me some BNP, and I also found that saline solution (the same kind I use for my contacts) helped him a lot. The vet said it can happen due to allergies, etc. Both of Newton's eyes were affected as well.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:16 pm

BNP=an antibiotic eye ointment? Or something else?

I haven't had the guts to pull her eyelid back. I'll let the vet handle that.

leebee

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:33 pm

Yep, BNP opthalmic seems to be the generic eye "cure-all". I've used it for hay pokes, I used it when Reg had his eye surgery and I used it with Newt's conjunctivitis. It works great, but they hate it and it gets their cheeks all greasy.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:58 pm

Vet said she had inflamed conjunctiva (duh) and prescribed BNP with hydrocortisone (Vetropolycin HC). I'm supposed to dab the ointmnent in 2 or 3 times daily. Just put some in her eye now. He said we should see improvement within a few days. I said I was generally wary of cortisone, but he said such a small amount over a short period of time was nothing to be concerned about.

Thoughts?

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:05 pm

I have used that on my girls too. Vet said the same thing about it.

It did help make is somewhat better, but they still have a little blob on the lower eye.

melcvt00

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:33 pm

The vet is right. That small of an amount used temporarily won't hurt.

lisam

Post   » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:46 pm

Let us know how it goes.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:49 pm

Applied the ointment twice today, per the vet's instructions (2-3 times daily; will do another application before bed). Her eye looks pretty much unchanged. He said improvement should be noticeable soon, so if it's not looking even a bit better by tomorrow night, I'll call the vet again on Thursday.

(pic taken after ointment was put on, hence the squint and greasy appearance)