Belle's eye >> red growth thing

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:15 pm

Ask her about the stuff that Karma was on, it was expensive, but it helped her out seemingly overnight. By 3-4 days of being on them, her eyes looked wonderful.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:29 pm

It's looking pretty much the same. I'm going to give the vet a call tomorrow.

Sshadowsmom

Post   » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:35 pm

Christie had something that looked just like that several months ago. She got over it very quickly. She had her eye stained and checked with the black light thing. And the vet said he thought it was where she had gotten something stuck up there and rinsed her eye out. We just did the drops for a few days and I can't for the life of me remember what they were. But she did recover very quickly.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:30 am

Sounds like the proper course of treatment, although I would have flushed the eye well during the exam. It would normally look better within 24 hours of treatment if it is uncomplicated conjunctivitis. Often times, they will have the conjunctivitis secondary to some foreign body stuck in there (like hay). While that is usually somewhat visible, I have had some cases where they get the hay so jammed in there you can't see it without moving the conjunctiva and eyelids around a bit (often needs topical ophthalmic anesthetic like proparicaine and ophthalmic tools to avoid further injuring the eye). Hopefully, the vet stained the eye to make sure the cornea was intact.

In any case flushing the eye really well before each application of the ointment of the BNP/HC with sterile saline wouldn't be a bad idea.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:34 am

Thanks for the input, Josephine.

He didn't stain the eye, and said flushing wasn't really necessary. He didn't even really push her eyelid back that much as far as I could tell. Hmm. I'll ask tomorrow about bringing her back in to have all this done. Or should I try another vet? This is standard vet-type stuff, right? Like, any good vet--even a non-exotics one--should have done the staining, and recommended the flushing, yes? Sigh.

He did point out that she has that teeny bit of redness visible at the bottom of her other eye, and that the two might have been related. But her right eye is really, really looking pretty painful right now, though she is otherwise acting and eating fine.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:41 am

Yes, any regular vet should be able to handle this one. Their eye anatomy isn't that much different from other species.

Some vets practice different medicine. There are ones that are more careful than others. Even though the cornea may have looked intact, my personal vet would have stained the cornea anyway to make certain before putting an animal on ophthalmic steroids.

It does sound like the general inflammation I see so often with hay foreign bodies... I don't see why it would have hurt to flush it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:02 am

It's really nice to see you, Josephine. I hope your computer is up and running reliably.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:09 am

Aak! My post vanished! I swear it was there a few minutes ago...

Anyway, yes this is typical vet stuff. Cavy eye anatomy is not much different from other species in this regard. Medicine varies from DVM to DVM. My vet wouldn't send home steroids unless she stained that eye just to make sure the cornea was intact.

The flushing wouldn't hurt. I don't know if I'd call it standard or not, but I can't understand why it would be a problem. Just do it before applying the medication so you don't dilute the medicine. I would have started with that to try and flush any unseen particles of irritants out. It isn't necessary to follow-up after the first day with the flushing unless the eye doesn't look much better. They're just so small and can get so many things in there.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:10 am

Oh well, there it is.

Yep, I'm back and online at home!

Should I yell it out loud?

(BTW, thanks for sending me your article. I've been sharing it with other ASPCA savvy people. It's really great).
Last edited by Josephine on Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:11 am

I see both posts?

I see you see both, too.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:14 am

Yeah, whatever. It's late and I don't care about ironing out bugs now.

I'm online, that's all that matters.

I plan on checking in on the med forums more frequently, of course.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:16 am

hmmm.... gone again...

...and back....