URGENT-CA-PHS Shelter (Bay Area)

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:04 am

A judge eating her "culls" for lack of their showability and effort required to responsibly rehome them. OMGosh, is this documented anywhere in print?

I´ll be having nightmares tonight. All of my sweet pigs would be " culls". Geez, I´m genetically a mutt myself. Thank heaven for my mom and all she had to put up with me.
How could you look into the face of a littermate knowing you had consumed their sibling earlier for asthetics .......?????

This is a very rude awaking for me. I want to vomit.

Josephine, I know you to be an honorable person. Is this "accepted " procedure?

I´ve personally and professionally documented Teresa´s SACRIFICE for the pigs.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:13 am

A recent JACBA was dedicated in its entirety to the production and uses of cavies in research, pet stores, etc. It was possibly meant to give breeders ideas on markets for their culls. Teresa has the proof. I couldn´t stand to keep it. As far as I know, this judge is the only major player to advertise she eats her culls. It gets worse as the article describes her reasonings and methods for getting to this eventual "ideal solution."

Sorry to make you nauseated. I pretty much am that way right now reading this thread again. The neverending saga, I guess.

The more commonly accepted practices are selling to pet stores, to people at shows, as reptile and raptor food, and killing them and just disposing of the bodies. I didn´t go over the methods of "euthanasia," but those would make you gag as well. Let´s just say the general public doesn´t have access to the controlled drug the veterinary community uses to give an overdose of anesthesia (the preferred and AVMA-approved method of euthanasia).

I couldn´t sleep. That´s why I´m up obsessing over things I can not change.
Last edited by Josephine on Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:25 am

I´m crying. This is so disturbing. I lost Sharlene´s old Begonia yesterday despite trying to move heaven and earth to save her. She was a mutt. Still worthy of effort. All my treasured animals ( birds, dogs, chins, guinea pigs) have been "unworthy´ but have greatly enriched my life.

Thank you Josephine for speaking so frankly.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:32 am

I just wish it wasn´t so....

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:59 am

I have been following this thread... I cannot believe what I am reading tonight.

As E says "I hate people."

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:36 am

This is so disturbing. I am with you Josephine... it is keeping me awake.

What is JACBA? I assume it is something like Journal of American Cavy Breeding Assoc. Am I close?

I had a "friend" ask me tonight how much money I was making from the rescue pigs I have in foster care. HELLO! Then she wanted to know why I was getting paid to breed them! HELLO! I guess the concept of helping animals, any animal, because it is the humane thing to do escapes some people.

gracielee
Me, too!

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:12 am

Okay, was trying to ignore this thread, but now I´m officially beyond help.

To breeders: As a rescuer, I will NEVER condone your activity. That doesn´t mean you can´t go on living a perfectly wonderful life doing whatever it is you do however it is you choose to do it.

It does mean, however, that if you come onto this board and spit venom at Teresa, who is as near to a matyr for her cause as anyone I know, you will make enemies.

Why do you need to make and post, and continue posting, when you know it is inflammatory?
Last edited by gracielee on Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:29 pm

Yup. Journal of the American Cavy Breeder´s Association.

Some people don´t listen, either. You know, lack of synapses firing. About two weeks ago, I ran across someone who wanted to talk about animals when I was dropping off some green waste at the recycling center. He saw I had a truckload of shavings (one week´s worth of bedding) and asked what kind of animals I had. Well, silly me has been talking to everyone I know about the Hollister pigs and thought this was a good opportunity to spread some more information. After I explained the huge number of homeless cavies, the situation under which the Hollister rescue went down, and the fact that there are several other big breeders that are being watched by humane authorities in Northern CA... you wanna know what he said?

"Yeah, I´d thought about getting some guinea pigs sometime and breeding them for the pet stores. I´d really like to get some."

HELLO? I was late for an appointment and fuming, so I just spat, "Well, unfortunately, that´s what causes the problems!" Needless to say the guy was not happy and we each went our ways quickly.
Last edited by Josephine on Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jahcqui

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:02 pm

*ignoring antibreeder invective and stories which are exception to the rule*

I didn´t call you a hypocrite, Teresa - I just said it seemed that way from my perspective, but thank you for explaining. From what I gather, you would have preferred the media be more involved with the prior one? Again we disagree, I would rather just get the animals in homes as quickly as possible, but my standards aren´t as stringent as yours - I think a lot of people you deny would be great pet owners. But that´s okay - disagreement is what our country is all about.

"This venom directed towards Teresa is personal." Josephine, I hope you don´t think I was spouting venom when I was honestly asking a question. The venom spouting seems to be more directed at me than Teresa, in fact. I would hate to think there is a forum in America where questioning someone out of curiosity is frowned upon just because the person being questioned is popular.

My questions are answered and I´m satisfied.

nastybreeder

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:02 pm

You´d have to awfully hungry to eat cavy. There just isn´t much meat on ´em. Kinda like buffalo chicken wings. And like crab legs they´d be an awful lot of work to clean for the return you´d get on them. Still, I understand with shake-n-bake they can be quite palatable.

Martyr seems to be a good word for Teresa. There´s a whole lotta breast beating and "Gosh, aren´t I wonderful for doing this? Poor me. I spend sooooo much time/money/energy on this for just no reward whatsoever..." publicity.

I know and admire some real re-homing groups. Almost any greyhound re-homing agency doesn´t have this personality cult that I see at cavyspirit. They are also much more effective at getting animals into homes. There isn´t the "My way or the highway" attitude there. They make sure the dogs have good homes but they don´t turn people off from the animal in the process. Many (not all) don´t bash breeders or the racing industry. They realize without them there wouldn´t be these animals to know and love.

Y´all manage to shut down breeders there wouldn´t be any pigs in 3-4 years. Y´all seem to love your animals but you want to go out of your way to make it difficult for new people to experience the same pleasure. I had a lady come buy a pig from me this week. She´d been checking the county humane society regularly and not finding any.

Lastly (for now) you might want to be aware of methods of euthanasia. "Etymology: Greek, easy death....the act or practice of killing or permitting the death of hopelessly sick or injured individuals in a relatively painless way for reasons of mercy" That way when your precious little Snookums prolapses their rectum, develops cecitis or has an unfortunate but not quite fatal experience with a dog late on a Sunday night they don´t have to suffer until Monday morning when you can give them a stressful car ride to the vet for a shot. Leaving them in agony for 8 or 12 hours does not make you a good Piggy Mom

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:14 pm

A good piggy mom has already discussed the possiblility with her vet and is prepared for it.

I´ve spent more time than I´d ever care to at the 24 hour vet clinic. I wouldn´t let my kids suffer nor would I let my pigs.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:21 pm

Cecitis? That´s a new one on me. Too bad it doesn´t exist.

Last time I checked prolapsed rectums weren´t causes for euthanasia either. Put in a purse-string suture and they´re cured. Not common in cavies or other animals also unless they had severe diarrhea.

No cavies in 3-4 years? That won´t happen of course, since there´s always a breeder or inexperienced pet owner, pet shop, etc. to supply the rescues. There wouldn´t be any need for us if there wasn´t an overpopulation problem, of course.
Last edited by Josephine on Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.